cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outdoor's 802.11n

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

I was looking for any suggestions as to how to cover a courtyard next to a building with 802.11n wireless coverage? I was figuring I had to use the 1250 with external antenna's, just not sure which ones are best to use for this application?

Seth

1 Reply 1

rduke
Level 1
Level 1

Seth,

I bought some 1250 APs to do more or less the same thing. In my case, I want to have N, but only on the 5 GHz radios, and mesh was not going to give me the dedicated bandwidth per AP that I was looking for.

Transition networks makes a combination media converter/PoE injector that will drive a 1250 with only one power cord and allows me to make a fiber connection to the AP (1 radio only with the 1250). I am looking at an enclosure that will hold the injector and AP, and it will have temperature controlled fans to keep it from overheating. I tested the media converter and it works well. It will drop power to the AP for a couple of seconds if you drop the fiber link. This will allow me to do a hard reset if necessary by dropping the fiber link on the other end.

The 1250 has pretty good range in wide open spaces with the small antennas. I am going to use jumpers cables to

place the antennas on the outside bottom of the case. Hopefully this will work. I have not tested it yet, but I am

optimistic because of other tests I have done with the 1250.

-link to the cases I am looking at, the sun visor option seems like a good idea.

http://www.sparcotech.com/PDG-EnclosureSelector.html

Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card