cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4510 power supplies

paulc
Level 1
Level 1

We are replacing our old 4006 with a 4510RE.

5 blades of 10/100/1000

1 SPF blade with 6 gbic

No VOIP or POE

One vendor is quoting dual 2800W p/s and the other is quoting 1100W p/s.

The "2800" vendor is saying that if we put in 1100's, if one fails the other doesn't have the power to run the switch.

Based on the above config, is he correct?

4 Replies 4

paulc
Level 1
Level 1

A slight edit to my post: Those were 1400 p/s not 1100.

Paul

In addition to Giuseppe's post, if you have a login to CCO then you can use the Cisco power calculator -

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/launch.jsp

this tool allows you to select your chassis type/supervisor and line cards and then shows you how much power that will use.

Be aware that the 4500 power supplies can run in combined or redundant mode -

1) combined = power is drawn from both power supplies to power the chassis and linecards. Obviously if one of the power supplies fails and the total amount of power needed is more than the remaining power supply can supply then linecards will start to shut down.

2) redundant = power is only drawn from one power supply and that power supply can supply all the power needed for the chassis and linecards. If that power supply fails then the other one can take over with no lose of service.

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Paul,

the following link provides information about power consumption of the different modules.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/module/guide/0aspecs.html

you haven't specified the supervisor model and if the modules are normal or E type.

267 W used by 4510RE chassis and fans

WS-X4648-RJ45V-E 123W per module

WS-X45-SUP6-E

347 W

this sums to

1229 W

so it is possible that a 1100W is not enough.

It is dependent on what type of supervisor and linecards you are looking for

Edit:

I see that the second vendor is suggesting 1400W PS.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

My thanks to you and Jon for your posts. They have helped a lot. I will check out the calculator.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card