cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple end host entery

raindrop18
Level 1
Level 1

we have LMS 3.2 and recent end user trucking report has multiple end host entry for each end hosts. the cause appears to be the end host report for each day reported with different VLAN. 1 day from sales vlan, next day from marketing, next day from engineering vlan.

here is one example.

Host Name host A

MAC Address 00-10-c6-1a-fb-e2

IP Address 10.160.76.35

Subnet 10.160.76.0

Switch Switch - A

Port Fa0/16

Port State static

VLAN marketing

Port Speed 10M

Port Duplex full-duplex

Last Seen 2009/09/11 10:48:25

-----------------

User Name

Host Name host C

IP Address 10.160.76.35

Subnet 10.160.76.0

Switch Switch - A

Port Fa0/16

Port State static

VLAN Engineering

Port Speed 10M

Port Duplex full-duplex

Last Seen 2009/09/13 10:44:13

User Name

Host Name host B

IP Address 10.160.76.35

Subnet 10.160.76.0

Switch Switch - A

Port Fa0/16

Port State static

VLAN Sales

Port Speed 10M

Port Duplex full-duplex

Last Seen 2009/09/16 10:44:13

---------------------------------------

Acquisition status Idle

Acquisition type Major

Acquisition start time 16 Sep 2009, 10:00:00 PDT

Last Acquisition end time 16 Sep 2009, 12:54:47 PDT

Number of acquisitions 172

Number of host entries 60447

Number of duplicate MAC 645

Number of duplicate IP 122

Number of CCM hosts 0

Number of IP phone entries 0

Last campus data collection completed at 15 Sep 2009, 14:52:14 PDT

Campus data collection status Running

why this device even though on marketing vlan but how come CM reporting for all other Vlan. .as information above we have 645 duplicate mac and 126 duplicate ip. how can stop that. this is new install LMS. may we have miss something?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It depends on the device configuration. If the devices are part of a VTP client/server domain, then the VTP server will be queried. If the devices are using transparent VTP, then each device is queried.

If you need further help diagnosing this, open a TAC service request with the configs. Additional logs, and the XML files I mentioned may be required. But it sounds like you may have some network discrepancies with respect to VTP which may account for this issue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

UT uses the data fund by Campus Manager Data Collection when it comes to which ports are in which VLANs. This data is passed to UT using XML. It looks like each Data Collection found the port in a different VLAN. Post the show run and show ver from the switch to which this end host is directly connected.

I can't post sh run because of security reason but I have question about CM data collection. is CM get the VLAN information per device or get the information from VTP domain. I have learn our network different location using same vtp domain and tp server in each location the same Vlan number but different Vlan names used. so I think CM take the vlan name from some place use on other place may be that cause the problem. so the main question again CM get vlan number and vlan name from each devices?

It depends on the device configuration. If the devices are part of a VTP client/server domain, then the VTP server will be queried. If the devices are using transparent VTP, then each device is queried.

If you need further help diagnosing this, open a TAC service request with the configs. Additional logs, and the XML files I mentioned may be required. But it sounds like you may have some network discrepancies with respect to VTP which may account for this issue.

thanks, yes it is appears to be VTP issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: