Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Retry Limit Issue

mrashby
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have a L3 connection between one of my core switches and a router. Ever since that connection was made I get this error in my logs:

Sep 17 09:41:25.804 EDT: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 1: Neighbor 16.11.17.218 (GigabitEthernet3/1) is up: new adjacency

Sep 17 09:42:45.315 EDT: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 1: Neighbor 16.11.17.218 (GigabitEthernet3/1) is down: retry limit exceeded

The only thing I noticed is that I can ping the router interface from the Core switch but I can't ping the core switch from the router. I have checked the interfaces and everything is identical so everything seems to be cool. I can't really see what the issue is unless there is something else going on I am missing. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mario

It sounds like you have one way traffic. One thing I would do to check this is to look on the switch and see whether you see the router as a CDP neighbor. If CDP is enabled and if the switch sees the router as a neighbor then it indicates that you have layer 2 connectivity and that there may be some layer 3 problem (possibly misconfigured address, misconfigured mask, access list, or something). If CDP is enabled and if the switch does not see the router as a neighbor then it indicates that there is some problem at layer 1 or layer 2 which is preventing traffic from the router to the switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco