CDP_F -Maximum remote transfer rate field

Unanswered Question
Sep 17th, 2009

In the CDP-F software advanced tab, there is a setting called Maximum Remote Transfer Rate. It says in the help file that if you need to ease the burden on your network you can adjust this field.

Can someone explain what this field is actually adjusting?

If the NSS3000 can link to a 1GB speed network, and if my switch is a 10/100(Mbps) switch and my workstation network card is a 1Gps newtork card than it stands to reason that my fastest rate will be that of the slowest part, that is 100Mbps when switched.

So what does this field actually control?

What kind of error messages will I see if this field is not set properly?

Does this setting affect the through put of the host workstation connecting to the NAS over the network?

Cheers!

Eugene

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Thu, 09/17/2009 - 07:59

In the CDP help, I find this:

Maximum remote transfer rate: field
You can set a limit on the volume of data that Continuous Data Protection for Files transfers to remote storage. Consider limiting the transfer rate if you need to ease the burden on your network.
EugeneD12 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 08:20

I beleive that is what my question stated. Do you have any answers to my questions?

EugeneD12 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 09:25

Steve,

Thanks for being upfront with me. I will call SBSC.

What is the purpose of this community forum?

Cheers!

Eugene

Steven DiStefano Thu, 09/17/2009 - 09:45

Your welcome.

To help provide Partners with whatthey need to become enabled to support our products.  To share technical expertise and answer questions you have or point you to someone who may, if we dont.

And its volunteer basis for us who participate for the most part.  We want to see you successful.  We received over 3,000,000 hits since starting it in January.

We are trying to scale to many with it.  Sometimes we dont know the answer, but if someone does, they will jump in I assure you.

Steve

EugeneD12 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 18:01

Is the level of Product knowledge greater with the folks at 1 866 606-1866?

I find it a little odd that with 3 million hits since January, that Cisco management hasn't equiped you with strong technical resources with intimate knowledge of these products. The longer it takes to get THE answer for an onsite technical problem eventually impacts the next buy decision on a technical solution for the next business opportunity. It's very noble to do this on a volunteer basis. It really shows the dedication of the people supporting this forum. Your better than the old linksys support group.

Cheers!

Eugene

doishi Tue, 09/22/2009 - 18:10

The CDP-F Maximum remote transfer rate sets a software limit to the transfers that need to take place.  This doesn't not take into consideration the HW transfer capability.  If a user has 1GB of available transfer bandwidth, but only wants to limit CDP-F traffic to 100MB so that the entire bandwidth is not consumed by one computer making back-ups.

Since backups to the remote server (such as NSS3000) are happening in real time, bandwidth capacity may be an issue depending on the type of traffic on the network.  This option in the CDP-F SW just gives admins, one additional place to manage bandwidth.

Hope that helps

EugeneD12 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 18:31

Hi Davin,

It seems to me that the nic card will transfer data at the highest rate negotiated with the switch port. I don't know how cdp software can modulate that speed.

Eugene

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content