SPA525G - WiFi feature request

Unanswered Question
Sep 17th, 2009

I cant complain as this is already a fantastic handset.

However this may or may not be interesting feedback:

1) 50% of our proposed 525G installations are for the primary purpose of portability within the office

2) The remaining 50% of our proposed 525G installations are simply because of a lack of structured cabling within the office

Based on 2) many users can only use wifi laptops, so why not add a WiFi bridge feature to the ethernet port of the 525G so that they can use their PC plugged into the 525G acting as PC's WiFi client ?!

Thoughts ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Marcos Hernandez Thu, 09/17/2009 - 08:19

If the users can access the wifi directly, why connect them to the phone operating in wireless mode?

Thanks,

Marcos

airnet321 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 08:23

Their Wifi laptop works fine - but a lot of them want to use their (non wifi) PC.

This is due to having multiple screens and/or generally more 'grunt' in most cases

airnet321 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 08:28

.... that's the reason the phone already has 2 ethernet ports. It's intended to be installed where there could be a lack of cabling. One port is WAN and the other is PC

The idea of the WiFi client is simply an addition to the existing WAN Ethernet port theory. Why not also make the WiFi client part of the WAN port bridge ?

Marcos Hernandez Thu, 09/17/2009 - 08:41

The immediate reason is cost, but we of course will consider this feature for future hardware releases.

Thanks for the feedback.

Marcos

airnet321 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 08:48

Thanks Marcos

The proposed feature is only a small software tweak on the existing hardware however....

Cheers

Steven Smith Thu, 09/17/2009 - 11:31

It might seem small, but it really isn't.  Since you want to have QoS, the phone now has to be able to connect to 2 different SSID's at the same time (not even sure if the hardware supports that).  It is also simplier when you aren't converting the media as well.  I understand what you are asking for might seem small, but I don't think it is in this case.

Christian Isla Wed, 01/27/2010 - 07:18

We are running into the same scenarios here.   We have customers which we can't cable (due to infrastructure) so the wifi phone is a great alternative, however, they have no means of connecting their pc's behind them...   To add to that, I also have a scenario where I need to put an ATA behind the phone to leech off the  SSL VPN on the phone.

ci

Actions

This Discussion