Configuring WPA2 on Aironet 1200 series AP (Without WLAN Controller)

Unanswered Question
Sep 17th, 2009

Hello, I'm having a hard time locating one of Cisco's docs that explains how to setup WPA2 through the GUI and command line without the use of a WLAN Controller. The doc i'm looking for should be usable for a 1242 AP.

All I've found are WLAN Controller based docs on how to setup WPA2 which are of NO help to me beings we don't use Controllers at my work. I believe this doc also has the software requirements and hardware requirements listed as-well.

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
MichaelEsker Thu, 09/17/2009 - 10:38

This is somewhat helpful but we are looking to configure a 1242 AP with WPA2 and not set it as LEAP or PEAP, and without using a WLAN Controller.

If anyone can help me narrow down the answer that'll help a ton. I did take a look at the doc you linked, and it was very helpful though. But still didn't give me the answer I'm looking for.

bcolvin Sun, 09/20/2009 - 18:05

Michael

Check this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps430/ps4076/prod_brochure09186a00801f7d0b.html

i believe what it is telling us is that if you configure WPA-PSK with TKIP it is considered WPA and if you configure it with AES it is considered WPA2. rather than limiting your encryption options with WPA or WPA2 selections your selection of encryption determines the WPA mode.

Good Luck

Bill

lcaruso Fri, 12/10/2010 - 19:34

Did you ever find an answer? I'm looking for the exact same thing.

George Stefanick Sat, 12/11/2010 - 19:48

Actually, the two above links provide enough information to configure WPA2 on autonomous access points.

Tiago Antunes Fri, 12/17/2010 - 01:42

Hi,

If you do not want to use leap or peap, I would assume that you want PSK (pre-shared key)...?

If yes, then the simplest config is:

dot11 ssid PSK
   authentication open
   authentication key-management wpa
   guest-mode
   wpa-psk ascii

interface Dot11Radio0
encryption mode ciphers tkip
ssid PSK
station-role root

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted September 17, 2009 at 8:12 AM
Stats:
Replies:6 Avg. Rating:
Views:8704 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard