cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distributed Vlan for Provisioning in a distributed Layer 3 environment

spraycj
Level 1
Level 1

I was curious to know if anyone had any ideas on the best way to go about this..

We have moved to a layer 3 core and distribution layer in our datacenter, with layer 2 out to the access layer. We are now considering building a provisioning network for kickstarting linux boxes.

I would need the vlan for the provisioning network to live on pretty much every switch in the environment. In a pure layer 2 design, obviously this is quite easy to do. With the distributed layer 3 design, there is no layer 2 connectivity currently between different networks. Everything hits the distribution, then goes layer 3 to the core.

Obviously I could link all the distribution switches in a layer 2 ring setup, and trunk this vlan to all of them. I don't really like that idea. I would also like to keep layer 2 out of the core if possible.

I was curious if any one had designed such a setup..

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Cristopher,

I would do the following:

I would use the VRF lite concept to create a L3 separated routing table

I suppose that the requirement for a L2 vlan comes from the desire to keep these new boxes separarated.

VRF lite or MPLS VPN with the distribution nodes acting as PE nodes can be a good solution.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card