Views
Helpful
Replies

2Gbps internet connection on 7600 or ASR router

burakdinci
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to make an high speed 2Gbps metro ethernet internet connection with ISP over 7600 or ASR router. What kind of connection should i use , 10Gbit interface or bundled of 1gbps interfaces with LACP ?

What is your recommendations ? Kind Regards...

Burak

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

7200VXR with G2 can give you 1Gb link. The 7600 can do more than 2Gb without breaking a sweat. You'll need a 10Gb link.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not enough information to make a really good suggestion as to choice between platforms. Each, I believe, has the capacity. (BTW, some of the smaller, stand alone, L3 switches should too. You might also look at the Metro Ethernet switches.)

Choice of device should take into consideration what other features you might need beyond just performance and dual channeled gig or 10 gig.

Of the latter which to choose (dual gig vs. 10 gig), has a couple of issues to consider. With a channeled configuration, any one flow will be unable to obtain more than gig bandwidth (unlikely an issue, though, for Internet traffic) and then there's the hashing algorithm issue. With dual links, you can also provide port and perhaps card redundancy. With a 10 gig link, there's the issue you might want to shape at the 2 gig rate. The need for this depends much on the policy of your ISP if you oversubscribe. (Unsure how much support there's for this on either platform.) 10 gig port will likey cost more than dual gig. However, it also provides a nice and simple bandwidth growth path. (This can be very nice for bandwidth changes, upgrades might be done within hours vs. days or weeks.)

(BTW, there's perhaps a 3rd approach with gig links, route across them rather than channel them.)

Again, can't make a good recommendation because don't know what other considerations might be important to you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card