Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup Comcast with Cisco 1711 ???

pineforest84
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I'm not there yet, however, I'm curious to ask if it is possible to setup Comcast (or AT&T DSL) hi-speed internet with Cisco router 1711 for entire home internet access.

I assumed it was possible. This is what I think how to make cable connections.

1. I'll install wic-1dsu-t1 card on 1711;

2. connect a rg-45 cable from cable modem to wic-1dsu;

3. Connect other computers to wic-4esw's ports;

4. Log-in 1711 and configure all ports.

Correct me if I'm wrong in this scenario. I can do 1-3 but 4.

Your response appreciated.

3 Replies 3

rohitrattan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I Dont think you would require the WIC-1DSU-T1 card i guess a WIC-1ADSL-DG Card is the one u need (If going for an ADSL Connection).

I cant really help you with the configuration but here's the Link that can help you out i guess.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/12_2z/12_2zj/feature/guide/adslwan.html#wp1028112

And you can see a list of all relevant Cards for 1700 series routers here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

Regards

Rohit

jyoung
Level 1
Level 1

The 1711 is cabable of the cable or dsl connection, however your physical connection is not quite correct. The wic-1dsu-T1 is for the clocking of a T1 line over a serial connection. This will not work for your home isp. The ethernet cable from the modem should be plugged directly into the Ethernet port on the 1711. You can then set dhcp (or an ip address if you have a static) on that interface. You need the wic-4esw for your internal hosts at home. They will be on VLAN1 by default, but you need to give VLAN1 an ip address on the 1711 that the pcs will use as thier default gateway. Then all you need is to PAT the internal addresses to the WAN port and set the default route!

YANGCCIE4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, pineforest84

I am not sure the card you choose, but the IOS resides on the Flash, inside the motherboard, you can user command #sh version , in order to see which IOS, it is supposed to be cisco IOS 12.5,

Replacing the card will affect a little, such as the interface configuration,

if you want to do the step 4,

a. get connect to the router throu console,

b. copy the configuration in to the notepad , #sh run ,

c, replace the card,

d, #config terminal , and copy paste the configuration back to the ram

e, #copy run sta , save the configuration to the flash.

hope it helps

Yang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: