cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

a mac address for a Vlan

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

Could someone please tell me if a mac address is getting created as a result of creating a layer 2 Vlan?

Thanks..

4 Replies 4

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Mac address of what? A switch port?

Every switch port has a mac address.

I dont understand your question.

s.ballew
Level 1
Level 1

No, a MAC address is not created as a result of creating a layer 2 VLAN. A MAC address is a uniquue hadware identifier (expressed in hex format) and is present when a device comes out of the box. Each switch port has a MAC associated with it. Each host also has a MAC associated with it.

nelson.garcia
Level 1
Level 1

MAC addresses can be mapped to VLANs when using STP with PVST+. PVST+ allows the switch to create an STP instance per VLAN and allows an STP topology PER Vlan, therefore, you'll have one root bridge per VLAN and a MAC address for each root bridge on these VLANs. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for, I'm new at answering questions. =]

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

Just tested this on a Cisco 3750 on my desk.

I had VLAN 1 Shutdown.

I did a show mac-address-table and there was no MAC for Vlan 1.

I unshut the VLAN 1 interface (no IP configured on it) and now there IS a mac-address entry in my table.

Understand that this is different than just adding say VLAN 10 to your vlan database or something like that.

If all you did was add a VLAN (re, not a virtual interface) to your vlan config then it will NOT create a mac-address entry.

However, if you create an interface, it will.

So the answer to your question is, it depends on what you are trying to do.

Hope that helps!

James

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card