cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy WLC Config from 2006 to 2106

smoore6857
Level 1
Level 1

I've had a WLC 2006 for a while. Just purchased the WLC 2106 as an upgrade. Is it possible to copy the config of the 2006 to the 2106? I don't want to have to manually recreate the WLANs and reassociate the APs with the new controller. I have tried saving the 2006 config to a TFTP server and uploading it to the 2106, but I get an error saying file type is not supported.

6 Replies 6

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

What versions? I suspect both are not running the same versions. XML schema version changes from a version to another.

The 2106 arrived today with IOS 4.2.205.0 pre-loaded. I upgraded the 2006 today with 4.2.205.0 to make sure teh IOS matches. I then saved the config after the IOS upgrade. It looks to me the only difference between the 2 is the BootLoader version, not sure if that makes any difference.

I did jsut notice there is a bootloader update available for the 2106. I didn't look for it before, I thought I read the 2106 couldn't have the bootloader updated.

"Note - You can use this command to verify the boot software version on all controllers except the 2106 because the bootloader is not upgradable on the 2106 controller."

Can you verify if this is correct as well as having a bootloader mismatch is causing my config copy issues?

The bootloader version does not matter at this point, its not related to the configuration. The problem is the XML file and there may be some config lines that are not compatible between the 2106 and the 2006.

If I find a way to do this, I will post it here.

I didn't think it matter, but just wanted to make sure.

Thank you for your help.

OK, i must admit I made a dumb mistake. The import of the configuration worked just fine, I just made the stupid error (repeatedly too) of selecting 'Code' instead of 'Configuration'. This is what I get for working late. Thanks again for the help and I apologize for the stupid post.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card