Views
Helpful
Replies

VPLS deployment

mehsulsss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

I am new to vpls and trying to get some design advice. We have vpls from the carrier and I am thinking of implement it with ospf as bgp need static peers.

The offices are in US,Europe and Asia.

I was thinking of two options:

a) Setup OSPF local within the continents and do bgp to tie the continents redistributing the summarized routes via bgp.

b) Do ospf only even between the continents no bgp.

If anyone has design it or experience with vpls, please give me you your feedback.

I will apprecaite it very much.

Thank you

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mehdi,

how many sites are involved?

if they are many you need to think of a two levels hierarchy if they are in the order of several tens an OSPF only approach can be enough.

see for example this design guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/ngwane.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mehdi,

how many sites are involved?

if they are many you need to think of a two levels hierarchy if they are in the order of several tens an OSPF only approach can be enough.

see for example this design guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/ngwane.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thank you for response. It's definitely helps. For now, I think it will be about 10 sites and the most it will increase will be 20.

Should I go with the OSPF only approach? and tie them with areas?

Thank you

Mehdi.

Hello Mehdi,

the number of sites 10-20 shoild mean up to 20-40 routers connected to the VPLS.

I recommend using default OSPF network type broadcast to reduce OSPF load on devices (it reduces the number of OSPF adjacencies that are needed with the DR and BDR election).

the VPLS ip subnet(s) can be placed in OSPF area 0 with internal subnets of each site placed in non zero areas.

This design allow for route summarization at area boundary that improves OSPF stability over the VPLS.

Another important note is to avoid as possible any form of redistribution:

instead of using redistribute connected for client vlans that generate external routes it is better to use:

network x.x.x.x area y

+

passive-interface type z/k

this allows for fine route control allowing also route filtering at area border (if needed now or in the future).

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe ,

Thank you for your precious advice as it is making me realize how much worth netpro is when it comes to getting some advice from people with knowledge on the subject.

In the past, I have been using rip,eigrp and bgp. Have not used ospf and is a learning curve aswel.

What I have understood from your recommendation is that to use all OSPF, define each sites router which holds the vpls connection as area o.

Using a bigger subnet, setup interface that connects to the area 0 as using the same subnet for the vpls handoff.

e.g: One VPLS cloud and asigned a /24 subnet for all the sites interfaces connected to the cloud.

Subnet asigned: 192.168.116.0.24

Site# 1 ---Site# 2---Site# 3

Site#1 (has two router 1 & 2 and a switch)

e.g Router #1 is an (ABR)router which is directly connected to Interface facing the cloud

interface s1/0

Ip address 19.168.116.1/24

interface g1/0

ip address 192.168.16.2/30

router ospf 120

network 192.168.116.0 255.255.255.0 area o

network 192.168.16.0 255.255.255.252 area 20

passive interface default

no passive interface s1/0

no passive interface g1/0

Router# 2

is not connected to the vpls cloud so the statement will be as follows:

interface s1/0

ip address 192.168.116.2/24

interface g1/0

ip address 192.168.16.6/30

router ospf 120

network 192.168.16.4 255.255.255.0 area 21

no passive interface s1/0

Switch:

is not diretctly connected to the vpls cloud but uplink connection to the routers and the statement will be as follows:

int g1/0

description connection to router#1

ip adress 192.168.16.1/24

int g1/1

description connection to router#2

ip address 192.168.16.5/24

router ospf 120

network 192.168.16.0 255.255.255.0 area 20

network 192.168.16.4 255.255.255.252 area 21

no passive interface g1/1

Does the concept in the above config correct. As long s they are directly connected to the area 0 which is the ABR router, we can have multiple area and should be fine. Same for Site 2 & 3. Summarize the routes when sending through the advertisement on the ABR router.

Hope I have been able to explain my understanding. Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Mehdi.

Hello Mehdi,

your understanding is correct.

some details are wrong but probably are just typing errors.

area 0 not o.

Note:

the subnet you use on the VPLS cannot be the same used as backbone vlan inside a single site.

I would consider to connect two routers on the VPLS link as a form of redundancy.

You need also to think of what to do if the VPLS link fails.

You may consider a backup solution based on DMVPN over the internet may be just to be able to reach an isolated site when the VPLS link is failed to understand what is happening.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Great! Thank you Giuseppe. I will give it a try.

Regards and thanks for helping me out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card