cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Power Issue

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am working in a new building where there are a lot of construction and power outages and our 6500 switches reboot unexpectedly. I think the issue is power fluctuations and/or low power input to our switches, but can not proof it to the contracting company providing power to the building. We have set up a Syslog server and it only tells us that the box was rebooted due to complete loss of PSU.

Is there any way to have syslog generates power/environment massages other then for a complete loss of PSU?

I would appreciate any feedback

Thanks,

Reza

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try SNMP. I don't have a 6500 lying around in my house but I can sure give you more details tomorrow when I get back to work.

Leo,

The problem is that since this is new building, we don't have enterprise management set up yet.

The closest SNMP command I found is:

snmp-server enable traps envmon

When the voltage keyword is used, a ciscoEnvMonVoltageNotification (enterprise MIB OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.3.2) is sent if the voltage measured at a given testpoint is outside the normal range for the testpoint (that is, at the warning, critical, or shutdown stage). For access servers, this notification is defined as the caemVoltageNotification (enterprise MIB OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.61.2.2).

Is there a way to send SNMP traps to a syslog server?

Thanks,

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I had experience a situation like this and one of the solutions we got was to put a UPS in.  The UPS we got included a 10BaseTx interface and it's connected to the switch.  So when the building power goes off, the UPS will generate an alarm before the battery runs flat.

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

check the output of show version you can check it from there

example :-

------------------ show version ------------------

Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXH1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 17-Jan-08 01:55 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)SX5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

dcs2.lo4 uptime is 1 year, 9 weeks, 1 day, 9 hours, 20 minutes
Uptime for this control processor is 1 year, 9 weeks, 1 day, 9 hours, 18 minutes
Time since dcs2.lo4 switched to active is 1 year, 9 weeks, 1 day, 9 hours, 19 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 09:39:09 PDT Sat May 31 2008 (SP by reload)<-- If this has poweron that means it was due to manual reload or power failure
System restarted at 02:33:03 GMT Sat Aug 30 2008 <-- THIS will give you the date and time when it last rebooted
System image file is "bootdisk:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH1.bin"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card