Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP issue.

Francis Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I recently started working in a place where the network was a mess and I want to make some changes for a best performance and management. We have 2 800 series running ADSL where I want to configure VPN tunnels (GRE) pointing to our remote site. I want to add local Internet and VPN failover making 2 groups, but I was examining the IOS and It doesn't support HSRP. As It doesn't support it I decided to check with VRRP, but the trouble that I have now is that the IOS doesn't not support tracking of the interfaces. I've done some upgrades to the IOS to the most recent versions, but still the same issue. I can make the VRRP groups with no troubles but the track command in global configuration mode doesn't appear.

I have to emphasize that we have a server behind the two routers (it is an IPTABLES in Debian) for filtering for the local network behind the server. In the Server I want to make 2 statics routes pointing to the VRRP IPs; 1 pointing to the network in the remote site and other (the default) pointing to internet. I want that the routers be able to back up each other, and I know that I can do it with VRRP or HSRP.

I have never worked with this kind of routers before and that is why I want to know if there is any c800 IOS that support HSRP or VRRP for tracking the wan interfaces in case of a failure.

Regards,

Francis

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Francis,

>> but the track command in global configuration mode doesn't appear.

standby xx track or vrrp yy track should be given in interface mode.

see this example for HSRP

R1

int vlan 1

ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip address 10.10.10.1

standby 1 priority 105

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 track int atm0

R2

int vlan 1

ip address 10.10.10.3 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip address 10.10.10.1

standby 1 priority 100

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 track int atm0

with VRRP

int vlan 1

ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

vrrp 1 ip address 10.10.10.1

vrrp 1 priority 105

vrrp 1 preempt

vrrp 1 track int atm0

r2:

int vlan 1

ip address 10.10.10.3 255.255.255.0

vrrp 1 ip address 10.10.10.1

vrrp 1 priority 100

vrrp 1 preempt

vrrp 1 track int atm0

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you giuslar for the advice, but what I've forgotten to specify is that in the track command, at least for VRRP, is based in an object number and you have to specify the object number with the track command in global configuration mode.

Ex:

Router(config-if)#vrrp 1 track ?

<1-500> Tracked object

Router(config-if)#vrrp 1 track 1 decrement 30

% tracked object does not exist

And that's why you have to specify the tracked object in global configuration mode. But the command doesn't appear in global configuration mode as the guideline says.

Router(config)#t?

table-map tacacs-server template tftp-server

time-range

Router(config)#t

And I got to specify too that HSRP seems to be not supported for this 850 series, because I've upgraded the IOS so many times but It's still the same history: the track command is bassed in object number, and when you try to find out the option in global configuration mode it doesn't appear. I want to know if there is any specific c850 IOS that can support HSRP or at least the track command for VRRP, or any trick to find it out or specify it.

Regards,

Francis

Hello Francis,

the commands and syntax for object tracking has changed over time.

use the following document as a reference for what to do.

you probably need to use an IP SLA object.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card