interchangeability of N and RP-TNC / advice of thermoboxes

Answered Question
Sep 19th, 2009
User Badges:

Hello!

I have a task to cover some area near the building, there is no masts\poles there, so you can place ap only on building itself, i want to use 1522 AP, because it's suitable for out environment (we can have temps lower then -20C so 1242 is not an option), but i couldn't find proper patch antennas for 1520 series, cisco specifies only omin ones.

So, can I use 2.4 patch antenna, replacing -RP-TNC connector with -N one?

It's not possible to mount ap indoor and place antenna outside.

If it's not possible - what thermoboxes can you advice for 1240 series?

Correct Answer by Robert.N.Barrett_2 about 7 years 9 months ago

Other companies make RP-TNC / N adapters, or you can use the boxes listed below with a 1242.

http://resources.tessco.com/attachments/Version_2.5_AP_1242_26141.pdf

If you choose to adapt the antennas, be sure that doing so will keep you within the radio licensing/usage specifications in your country.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
misha_bac Sun, 09/20/2009 - 10:55
User Badges:

Much thanks and +5 from me, Robert ;)

Do you have a clue about - is such config -R<->N supported by Cisco, have you seen such installations?

In my country if you do wireless outside the building you need to get permission from gov anyway.

Robert.N.Barrett_2 Wed, 09/23/2009 - 18:45
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

That's a tricky question, and I can't get you a definitive answer. My understanding is the following:

- If the original manufacturer of the AP lists specific antennas that can be used, and states that no other antennas are approved for use with the AP, then will not be able to get support (and you may also violate your regulatory body's RF spectrum rules) by using a different antenna. The Cisco 1250 (for the US market) has wording about specific antennas than can be used and that no other antennas are authorized.

- If the original manufacturer does not restrict the use of antennas, then a "professional installer" can use any antenna that keeps the resulting signal within the RF regulations.

I am not a lawyer, your mileage may vary, you may lose value, not FDIC insured, results not typical, prices slightly higher in Alaska and Hawaii, void where prohibited.

Actions

This Discussion