Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco vs ZyXEL G-4100 v2

Eivind Jonassen
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Any products or idea´s on how to compete with zyxel´s wireless guest access, when it comes to "one click guest access code"? The one button feature that comes with the printer provided with this solution is a customer demand in may cases. I´m sure that linksys and cisco can figure some easy setup on how to provide this in their portfolio

Thanks,

Eivind

9 Replies 9

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Eivind,

That Zyxel AP is a standalone hotspot AP, that I assume you want to charge folks for it's usage, via one AP and not multiple AP's.

We do have a Wireless Controller the AP526  that does allow for GUEST network, similar to what you described (not exactly the same) but the controller can be used for multiple AP521.  It can issue access codes for users.

By the Characteristics of the Zyxel are you sure you should not be considering something like a WRT54G3G, a 3G hotspot router, or product from linksys that supports the "hot spot in a box feature", see chapter 7 in the following reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/wrv54g/user/guide/wrv54g_ug.pdf   

regards Dave

Hi Dave,

This looks OK for the US, but for small companies in Norway, it's a bit of a hassle to pay a company in the US for this service.

The "problem" with the WLC526 is that you have to log in with username and password to generate a guest user instead of a single click on a small printer.

Any other suggestions on how I can deliver an easier hotspot solution with cisco equipment.

Thanks,

Eivind

Dave,

Does cisco have any solution for these kind of deplyments or is the ZyXEL better??

Regards

Eivind

Take a look at this link. Go to the introduction page and about half way down the page you will see some devices that might be what you are looking for. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_building_broadband_service_manager/hotspot/1.0/user/guide/hs10_01.html

Actually, as both a Cisco partner and ZyXEL partner, we have found that ZyXELs G4100v2 product is extremely flexible and simple. The one touch printer is only one way to get your codes out, the other method for countries with the ability to process credit cards is to do it all from a guests hotel room, they need no ticket no access codes.

If I read correctly, there was the mention that the G4100 could only be a standalone AP, well fortunately its untrue!  We deployed these solutions using two types of ZyXELs technology, the G4100v2 for small hotels, with eithr the NXC-8160 WLAN Controller with Channel Blanket features, or NWA-3xxx series AP with WLAN Controller mode built into each Access point, they can be configured to work in lightweight mode or controller mode.  VERY flexible. It would have been good to see something from Cisco in this regard, but nothing i think as yet, that is as simple and as flexible as these options. If you have a larger deployment you move from the G4100v2 to VSG1200.  The 3-button printers are a nice feature, but as noted are not the only method available for authentication and access.

As for the Linksys model mentioned, it is nice, but just isnt exactly on the mark for what you are asking for.

I know Cisco, though and they wont be left out of this kind of system for long.

Please post your question in the Cisco NetPro forums located here: http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=main  This forum has subject matter experts on Cisco Elite/Classic products that may be able to answer your question.

thanks..

Eivind

pgatt62polly66
Level 1
Level 1

This may be a bit late for the particular users problem but I've just had a problem of the same sort o and I believe I have the answer.

We have a Cisco 3750 integrated WLC and wanted to install a Zyxel ticket system, which after some research decided it couldn't be done. But, after some perseverence I now  have the system running and issuing tickets to Guests accessing the wireless network through Cisco 1140n APs conected to the WLC as normal.

What I did was interupt the upstream link between the 3750 and the 1900 router with a seperate 1841 router with HWIC-4ESW module  and guide all Guest requested access to the Zyxel via PBR. The WAN  traffic of the Zyxel was then returned to the 3750 via nat and a Layer 3 address and Layer 3 interface configured on the switch which then exitted the network via the 1841 non PBR route.

It is a bit convoluted but works a treat and the bandwidth is excellent.

Regards etc

Pat

Checkout a PcMag review of wireless access points and you will know how much faster Cisco is versus the rest of the market.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: