Views
Helpful
Replies

Leaving teh bluetooth adapters on with over 200 devices on a wireless netwo

Bassist21
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have one hallway that has 250 hp laptops connected at n speeds. I also have 8 wireless projectors connecting at g speeds. I have 4 Cisco 1141 AP's with more in other parts of the building. We have a 2 WISM controllers set up. We have over 1500 machines total on our network with a 10MBPS optiman connection. At most times I have an average of 50 clients on one AP. How much if at all does the on-board bluetooth hurt the wireless network. I am thinking of disabling it to see if that helps with my wireless issues.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bluetooth shouldn't affect your WLAN speed. It's the "I have an average of 50 clients on one AP".

One AP to service 50 clients is way to high. You may want to add another AP nearby to alleviate the bottleneck.

since I am using the 1141 model, how many would you say is a good number. I normal have always been told around 24. But, I was told that during the site survey that these things could handle a ton clients well over 40 to 50. I would say that each one is seeing between 40 to 50 on average sometimes less sometimes more I would think.Please let me know.

This is the response from Lucien of Cisco and I quote "The theoretical maximum is 2048. As part of 802.11, however, some number of these 2k addresses are reserved bringing the IEEE maximum down to 2007.

Although the AP motherboard has memory capable of handling 2007 users, the radio utilized in our 1200 Series AP has memory limitations which hold the maximum number of client associations to 255.

The number of 255 is active associations, though the cam table can contain 2048 entries because of the memory size, the number restricted for actual active association is 255.This number is still far too large for sensible networking but what is possible. Remember that WLAN is shared media, all users have to try to get access to the media by waiting until it is free and then sending a request to reserve the media for the duration of the frame size that they want to send. If the air is busy then you have to wait a random time and start again. So if you have too many users waiting they can end up waiting a very long time - sort of traffic jam effect at a congested unction, one more car and the traffic seems n times worse.I dont know as to how the number 255 was arrived at but it is largely irrelevant as 255 is still too large to be practical for active associations, we (Cisco) recommend 25-30 for most design work."

Another bottleneck you may want to look into is the switch and the WLC. Because you are using the 1140, it would be good that the switchports to your APs, WLC and uplinks are GigabitEthernet.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card