cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7206VXR Gig Card

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

I am looking for a 1000 Card for my 7206VXR. I am looking for copper.

I found the PA-GE but it appears that it will take a fiber gbic? Is that correct? Is there a copper gbic for this card?

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Rick,

be aware that even if the RJ-45 Gbic may be supported you don't get a full rate GE port.

Also I'm not sure that PA-GE hosts a GBIC.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html#wp131775

I found that the PA-GE supports GBIC for fiber.

Here is my issue.

I have the NPE-G2 and the 3 GE ports provided are full now. To support my config I need 2 more interfaces that are equal in speed. I really do not want to go from a 1G 4948 port to a 100Fa interface on the router.

Any Ideas?

Hello Rick,

as I wrote in my first post you cannot expect good performance from PA-GE because it connects using the PCI bus to the NPE-G2.

the limit is the PCI bus that is the same of VXR chassis (the notorius BW points)

If you make a search for this you can find some recent threads about this.

even the currently 3GE ports of NPE-G2 are not full-rate (with small packets) the idea to add two PA GEs.

you can get as low as 200 Mbps on each port

Hope to help

Giuseppe

so would it be ok to use 100FastEthernet interfaces for this set-up?

The more I think through this the more I realize that we can get away with it since our WAN is not higher than that. We are running at 90 Mb, 45 on each router on the edge.

"Any Ideas?"

Have you considered using multiple subinterfaces off an existing interface and perhaps expanding the ports via a VLAN capable switch?

This would work but my set-up will not allow it.

Here is the topology

Internet......Internet

|..............|

|..............|

4948-----------4948 External

|..............|

FW-------------FW

|..............|

4948-----------4948 Internal

|..............|

6509-----------6509

... = spacers

--- = connections

I am connecting the External 4948 to both 7206's and running GLBP.

I am, also, connecting the Internal 4948's to the 7206's and routing via vrf. We are getting an enhance port from Qwest which has DIA and MPLS on the same circuit via Frame. So the best way at this point is to VRF the private network, bypass the firewall for this traffic. The reason is not technical for the bypass rather for personnel reasons, I am the only FW admin at this time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card