PBR weird behaviour

Answered Question

Hi there,

We're trying to re-direct traffic between 2 subnets to a portchannel interface. The configuration is straight forward, 2 physical layer 3 interfaces combined a layer 3 portchannel on a 6509E. refer to the attachment.

We tested it using traceroute, traffic is being matched by the route-map but it's not sent to the right next hop -172.16.0.161! Any clues?

Cheers,

Daniel

Correct Answer by Giuseppe Larosa about 7 years 6 months ago

Hello Daniel,

in your PBR route-map you have used:

ip default next-hop 172.16.0.161

you should have used

set ip next-hop 172.16.0.161

otherwise normal routing table is used first when the default option is inserted.

if you want traffic to be redirected when next-hop is available you need to use set ip next-hop 172.16.0.161

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
rducombl Tue, 09/22/2009 - 00:04
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

HI daniel,

PBR supports vary a lot from switches to switches. What switches type and software do you have ?

Also I notice your pbr next-hop is not directly connected ? Did you try with directly connected next-hop ?

Which route do you use to reach your next-hop ?

Roland

Correct Answer
Giuseppe Larosa Tue, 09/22/2009 - 01:43
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello Daniel,

in your PBR route-map you have used:

ip default next-hop 172.16.0.161

you should have used

set ip next-hop 172.16.0.161

otherwise normal routing table is used first when the default option is inserted.

if you want traffic to be redirected when next-hop is available you need to use set ip next-hop 172.16.0.161

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I just CAN'T believe it... I looked into my configuration tens of time to not realize of this error.

I'm totally aware of the difference between ip default next-hop and ip next-hop but I never saw it!!

Thanks for your detailed eye ;)

Daniel

Ps: will modify the config, test it and let you know in case it didn't work; though I don't believe it would be the case.

Actions

This Discussion