cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Pim Neighbor with MVPNs

lbrooker
Level 1
Level 1

PE1 is non SAFI capable running(12.3.16a), RR1 and PE2 are SAFI capable(12.2.31.SB11

why isn't my RR "dumbing down the update" to PE1, is anyone aware of any bugs in either IOS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please clear the session and check with the debugs if the RR is sending the update to PE1.

Even after it's not working, last option I see before opening a TAC case is to try with SRC2 as it's the one I used in my set-up.

Laurent.

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

If the PE is using mdt safi and route reflectors are using mdt safi & pre mdt safi in this case on PE you need to activate the ipv4 mdt for both the route reflectors so that PE can send the updates to RR1 with mdt safi and for RR2 it sends the update with extended 2:65500:1 community. In short we can upgraded RR1 is backward compatabile to the PE with respect to the mdt. Only one thing which we need to take is that to enable mdt safi for the non mdt PE.

Please refer the full document

http://shivlu.blogspot.com/2009/02/upgradation-of-rr-to-mdt-safi.html

regards

shivlu jain

no the topology is

PE1 = MDT Safi Capable 122-31.SB11

PE2 = extended community 123-16a

RR(only 1 RR)= MDT SAFI Capable 122-31.SB11

MDT safi is used for mainly MVPN customers. If you are not going to activate the neighbor under ipv4 mdt in RR then it will dump the updates. If the mdt is activated under RR towards the non-mdt safi, it will not dump the updates.

regards

shivlu jain

Thats the problem! The RR is configured for both vpnv4 and mdt towards both PEs, but the PE that doesn't support the MDT SAFI is not receiving it as a type 2 RD. Its like the RR is "not dumbing down" the new type MDT to old type 2 to the non MDT capable router. Hence why I think this is a bug on the RR. Its IOS is 122-31.SB11

Cheers

Mat

try to change the ios and let us know.

regards

shivlu jain

OK changed the IOS on the RR and PE2 to

c7200p-spservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRC4

IOS of PE1 is c7200-p-mz.123-21 still no joy although i get an interesting debug message from debug ip bgp vpnv4

*Sep 23 05:17:59.111: vpn: sourced prefix 2:20:1:203.194.30.63/32 not in any VRF, not allocating local label

*Sep 23 05:17:59.315: vpn: sourced prefix 2:20:1:203.194.30.63/32 not in any VRF, not allocating local label

what does the above mean?

It means that the PE1 is receiving the routes with extended community because it doesn't support mdt safe, but it is rejecting the route because not able to find any vrf for the same.

regards

shivlu jain

Hi Shivlu

I actually think its rejecting the route because of the RD? As if you put that IP address on an interface in that vrf it still fails.....have you managed to get this to work with RR supporting MDT SAFI sending updates to non supporting and supporting MDT SAFI PEs? I am looking at maybe an import map on the vrf configuration :o)

actually that doesn't work either. I know my config is great so looking at IOS' if you have had this runnning then I would love to know how.

Yeah I have already read this, but was just wondering if you had it working as well?

Hi,

*Sep 23 05:17:59.111: vpn: sourced prefix 2:20:1:203.194.30.63/32 not in any VRF, not allocating local label

It's a locally generated update. If 203.194.30.63 is the address of PE1 then this is the update generated by PE1.

Do you have send-community both configured under the MDT AF ?

Thanks

Laurent.

Hi Laurent, welcome to the party :o)

well from the PE point of view b/c its non SAFI the connection is via VPNv4 but both is stipulated. I think i read in the whitepaper that cisco released they say if you have a hybrid environment then you must have both stipulated on the RR, so in answer to your question yes we do have it.

PE1 is non SAFI shows no PIM neighbor

PE2 is SAFI and show one PIM neighbor(which happens to be PE1)

Cheers

output from sh ip pim vrf "" neighbor command

PE2

sh ip pim vrf mpls neighbor

PIM Neighbor Table

Mode: B - Bidir Capable, DR - Designated Router, N - Default DR Priority,

P - Proxy Capable, S - State Refresh Capable

Neighbor Interface Uptime/Expires Ver DR

Address Prio/Mode

203.194.30.63 Tunnel0 2d22h/00:01:28 v2 1 / DR S

PE1

sh ip pim vrf mpls neighbor

PIM Neighbor Table

Mode: B - Bidir Capable, DR - Designated Router, N - Default DR Priority,

S - State Refresh Capable

Neighbor Interface Uptime/Expires Ver DR

Address

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: