Spa9000/400/942 -incoming and phantom call problems

Answered Question

Hi

Have a SPA9000 with 2 SPA400's and 15 SPA942's. All configured by the wizard, connected to a Cisco 24port POE switch, with all connected voice ports designated as fast and basic DCSP enabled. Router is a Vigor 2820, with QOS disabled as it is a dedicated ADSL for the voip.

Incoming calls (4xpstn) to one SPA400, voicemail on the other. 1 x ITSP line. All incoming calls over PSTN, al outgoing over ITSP.

There are 2/3 major issues, 1 minor

1) Call quality - quite often people are ringing in (over PSTN) and saying that they can't hear the people at the company, so they have to ring back.

2) Calls dropping after several minutes

3) Phantom calls: When a call comes in and is answered, when the phone is put down, almost immediately another call comes on to the line with an 'anonymous' caller ID. When it is picked up, there is nobody there. Happens a lot.

4) Is it possible to configure the phones so that when you want to transfer a call you just press transfer, phone the other extension, talk to the other person and then just put the phone down to transfer the call? It's how my clients old system worked and they just can't seem to get the hang of pressing transfer twice.......

Thanks in advance

Simon

p.s. I'm going to set up a wireshark trace today, so should have some more information for you tomorrow.

Correct Answer by Alberto Montilla about 7 years 8 months ago

Dear Simon;

Thanks for your detailed email. Please see below some hints:

[email protected] wrote:

Hi

Have a SPA9000 with 2 SPA400's and 15 SPA942's. All configured by the wizard, connected to a Cisco 24port POE switch, with all connected voice ports designated as fast and basic DCSP enabled. Router is a Vigor 2820, with QOS disabled as it is a dedicated ADSL for the voip.

Incoming calls (4xpstn) to one SPA400, voicemail on the other. 1 x ITSP line. All incoming calls over PSTN, al outgoing over ITSP.

1) Call quality - quite often people are ringing in (over PSTN) and saying that they can't hear the people at the company, so they have to ring back.

[Alberto] Try increasing the output gain in the SPA400 by 2 dB. It should help.

[Alberto] Require to see the SPA400 logs, but please check PSTN lines do not have Call waiting enabled. This is not supported in the system and actually makes current call to drop.

3) Phantom calls: When a call comes in and is answered, when the phone is put down, almost immediately another call comes on to the line with an 'anonymous' caller ID. When it is picked up, there is nobody there. Happens a lot.

[Alberto] This may have to do with the fact that SPA400 has not terminated the call. The quickest turnaround is to disable call back (if you dont use the feature). If you use this feature, then I would need to know which country you are located. This may be related to an issue with call disconnect tone in PSTN

4) Is it possible to configure the phones so that when you want to transfer a call you just press transfer, phone the other extension, talk to the other person and then just put the phone down to transfer the call? It's how my clients old system worked and they just can't seem to get the hang of pressing transfer twice.......

[Alberto] Not possible to configure on the SPA9XX phones. This is their behavior.

Thanks in advance

Simon

p.s. I'm going to set up a wireshark trace today, so should have some more information for you tomorrow.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Alberto Montilla Tue, 09/22/2009 - 08:43
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Dear Simon;

Thanks for your detailed email. Please see below some hints:

[email protected] wrote:

Hi

[Alberto] Try increasing the output gain in the SPA400 by 2 dB. It should help.

[Alberto] Require to see the SPA400 logs, but please check PSTN lines do not have Call waiting enabled. This is not supported in the system and actually makes current call to drop.

[Alberto] This may have to do with the fact that SPA400 has not terminated the call. The quickest turnaround is to disable call back (if you dont use the feature). If you use this feature, then I would need to know which country you are located. This may be related to an issue with call disconnect tone in PSTN

[Alberto] Not possible to configure on the SPA9XX phones. This is their behavior.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hi Alberto,

1) I have increased Transmit and Receive gain in the SPA400 with the 4 PSTN lines

2) I'll check with BT tomorrow about Call Waiting on the line

3) I have disabled the 'Call Back Serv' under 'Supplementary Services' in each SPA942 (I am assuming that is what you meant - if not please let me know!)

4) Shame!

I'll let you know more after tomorrow's calls.

Thanks for your assistance

Simon

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content