we have a single SRW224P that is used for both Linksys phones and PC's. After a couple of weeks of uptime and normal operation we notice, that newly connected equipment (mostly laptops that people take home) doesn't get IPs from the DHCP server.
We had this problem since we got the switch, we also tried upgrading the firmware as new versions became available - but that 'bug' still exists.
When this problem happens, we made the following observations:
- Newly connected ports don't work - yes, there is 'physical' link, but no traffic is passed through. Laptops and phones don't get IPs from the DHCP, PC's with statically assigned IP don't work either.
- Ports, that have been connected, still work.
- If ports that work are disconnected at this point and then reconnected, they no longer work.
- The web gui is not accessible, the serial console is not accessible either.
- Only resolution is power cycling the switch - after that all ports work, web gui works, serial console works (for next couple of days/weeks).
Information about our switch (as presented on the web gui after power cycle):
|Model Name||24-port 10/100 + 2-Port Gigabit Switch with WebView and PoE|
|System up time||0 days, 1 hours, 40 minutes, and 25.3 seconds|
|Base MAC Address||00-18-F8-XX-XX-XX|
I also found that other people report the same issue (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Telecommunications/IP_Telephony/IP_PBX/Q_23790063.html), so I'm guessing this is a firmware problem.
Best regards, Danilo