Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum Bandwidth Over Local Loop

ravinderrajput
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Our ISP would be providing us Local Loop(Ethernet Link) as P2P WAN Connectivity between our office and thier POP. The current bandwidth of the link would be 4mbps. For that we would be using cisco 2801 router.

I would like to know that..what can be the maximun bandwith of the Local Loop WAN link and will 2801 will support it.

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

max bandwidth depends by the specific technology used, loop distance and quality, and more importantly it depends by ISP will and how much you pay.

The 2801 supports any DSL speed.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the handoff is using Ethernet, physical connection bandwidths likely would be 10 or 100 Mbps, or gig. Your 2801 comes with two copper 10/100 Mbps FastEthernet ports. The 2801 should be able to forward 10 Mbps (duplex) for most traffic (if CEF switched) and configurations. Beyond that, much depends on the nature of the traffic and how the router is configured. I.e. 4 Mbps should be fine (assuming router supports the physical link).

PS:

If the link's physical bandwidth is faster than subscribed bandwidth, you should check with your ISP what happens when you oversubscribe. If they drop your oversubscription traffic, you probably want to shape your outbound rate to match the subscribed rate (i.e. 4 Mbps).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco