cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400n v2.0 Firmware 2.0.0.7 SNMP Support

tjf
Level 1
Level 1

Firmware 2.0.0.7 has a lot of improvements, however SNMP is still not working as one would expect.

In the FAQ to the 4400n V2 CISCO answers the question "Does the 4400 support SNMP?" ->

"Yes, it supports snmp 1 and 2, on the LAN and via internet.

But even with the newest firmware (2.0.0.7) the router responds only to snmp requests from devices directly connected the the routers LAN switch.

No way for a central nms system (that for instance receives traps from the WRVS4400n) to access the routers snmp feature.

Not on the WAN port an also not on the LAN port using an IPsec VPN tunnel.

If the router can send a trap to a remote nms system it clearly should allow the same nms system to access snmp somehow.

Many people are asking for this bug fix, mainly because they want to use MRTG or alike to monitor traffic, errorcounts, etc.

Anyone any idea how this can be fixed????

Regards

Thomas.

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Thomas,

Thought i would try it on my WRVS4400N  V1.

Like youself, the SNMP runs well on the LAN side.  On the WAN side is another story.

I did a port forward of UDP port 161 to the LAN IP address of my WRVS4400N.  maybe you can try that on your versuion of code.

But it made no difference on my version 1.1.13 version of code. I could not consistantly read MIB variables.

I did for a few split seconds, during cold start get trap sent to my remote SNMP manager and could do a MIB browse.

Open up a case with the SBSC, their contact details are  at the following URL;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

regards Dave

tjf
Level 1
Level 1

I have opened a case and it should have been escalated by now.

Let's hope that engineering does not reply "it's a feature, not a bug and it has been designed that way".

Regards

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: