cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing class Cs via cellular radio

ayurkowski
Level 1
Level 1

I use ethernet cellular radios to which the carrier assigns static non-routable class C IP addresses. Traffic initiated by one of these radios is also routed by the CARRIER to two other class Cs.

I would LIKE to attach one of these radios to an 1841 configured to provide DHCP, and then route traffic to all THREE external Class Cs. However, I CANNOT setup this as the default route… so how do I specify routes to the NON-DHCP class Cs when I have no "next hop" ?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry, cannot understand what do you mean.

Can you make some example ?

I thought this self explanatory: however, I'll try to clarify:

The cellular radio has a 10.200.0.x/24static IP. We also have field equipment using 10.200.1.x and 10.200.2.x class C's.

The carrier routes traffic from 10.200.0.x to the other two blocks.

Now lets attach this radio to a router with, say 2 ethernet ports: the host network on FA0 with an address of 192.168.1.1/24, and the radio with an address of 10.200.0.1/24 on FA1, with the port set to acquire the address via DHCP. A console user can ping various radios on the 10.200.0 network; however, I need some way to indicate "if you want to talk to 10.200.1.1, ROUTE VIA 10.200.0.1". If I try this, IOS indicates "address is on the local router"

Nothing is self-explanatory unless you attach a network diagram comprising all device and addresses.

Anyway, your SP doesn't route anything else than 10.200.1.0, 10.200.2.0 and 10.200.3. That means if you want to use other addresses, you have to build your VPN. This is easily done with GRE tunnels, either point-to-multipoint or full-mesh point-to-point.

If you never did things like that before, I recommend you hire a networking professional for the job.

You misunderstand the question. WHile the SP will route traffic between the 3 10.x class Cs (e.g., a device attached to 10.200.1.1 can address 10.200.3.1), I need to be able to route LAN traffic from 192.168.1.1 TO ALL THREE CLASS C's.

Since I cannot make the port where the cell radio is attached the default route (which would solve the problem nicely and in fact works), is there some way to be able to set static routes for 10.200.1.2 and 10.200.1.3? I had thought that an overloaded NAT would work, but am not making any headway on this...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card