cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device unsupported RME 4.2

fashour
Level 1
Level 1

in Manageability report, it shows that 6509 with sup720-3BXL is not supported. running version 12.(17d)SXB. In the support table shown at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.1/device_support/table/lms31sdt.html

it shows that SUP 720-3BXL with minimum of 12.2(17a)SXA[RME] is supported in 4.1 RME. Am I missing something? the swithc chassis is 6509.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can get device package updates through Common Services > Software Center > Device Update.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think I have read a post here before explaining that the newest version of LMS could sometimes lag behind previous versions in terms of device support a little. It would eventually catch up pending newer Device Updates pkgs being released.

You are correct. That's how things USED to work. We recently transitioned to a new device support model called Day One Support. The idea is to try and release a device support update as close to a new device release as possible. The quarterly IDUs have been done away with.

Thanks for your clarification! Does that mean the users need to wait for the IDU is released, in this particular instance?

No. Device support between RME 4.2 and 4.3 should be in sync now. You will, of course, need to download all available device packages from Cisco.com.

fashour
Level 1
Level 1

So, the support is not cummulative? if the switch is supported in 4.1, it is not necessarily supported in 4.2?? how can users check for support? Thank you.

Hmm, the LMS 3.2 Supported Device doc seems to suggest/(imply?) device support is cumulative:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.2/device_support/table/lms32sdt.html

which would contradict what I thought I read above.

Normally, one could look at the sysObjectID of the device to doublecheck, but one's not even listed for 720-3BXL.

If you have a fresh LMS 3.2, maybe try checking for Device Updates for RME 4.3 from cisco.com, via Common Services -> Software Center -> Device Update, and see if that changes the picture.

Device support is generally done on sysObjectID only. Specific Supervisor support only comes into play with RME's software management. If you want to know what device support exists, you can use the Supported Device Finder portlet under the System portal view. Just plug in the sysObjectID, and the tool will tell you if support exists or not.

Thank you for the great insights. We checked for the sysobjectID and it shows as:

supported in installed version, but device package is not installed.

Does this mean I need to install a package for it to be supported? Where can I get such package? As always, thank you.

You can get device package updates through Common Services > Software Center > Device Update.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: