Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 Jetdirect Printing issues over Established VPN

roberttimmons
Level 1
Level 1

Ok here is my scenario.

3 routers in 3 locations. I have had this setup running for years flawlessly. The main router was a linksys befvp41 and over the weekend it decided it would choke.

So monday morning the router was dead and the company was shut down.  After some quick troubleshooting from 1000 miles away I determined the router was bricked.  I go online to the closest retailers to find a suitable replacement with VPN capablites.   I find the RVS4000 read a few reviews and it looked like it would tackle the job.

Got the router installed and walked one of the local guys through enouph of the setup to get me in remotely.

192.168.1.1 - New router cicso rvs4000

192.168.2.1  san antonio location netopia 3000 sbc supplied router with ipsec  Jet direct with hp laserjet 1300  ( WILL NOT PRINT OVER VPN)

192.168.3.1 valdasta location netopia 3000 sbc supplied router with ipsec Jet direct with generic txt only printer (works flawlessly)

192.168.1.150  jet direct printer in stl local to cisco works great

168.168.2.150 jet direct pritner in san antonio DOES NOT WORk

192.168.3.150 jet direct in valdasta works great

Ok. So I have the VPNs established and they are connected. I can ping the printers or PCs from any network computer to another network computer or printer.

I can ping 192.168.1.1 from anywhere on the network including from either .2.1 or .3.1 netopia router.   But I cannot Ping anywhere outside of the internal 192.168.1.1 network from the cisco router..   Now this is where it gets funny.. I can however ping any router or any printer from any computer on any network. So yes I can ping the 192.168.2.150 printer from the 192.168.1.1 network. i can even access the jet direct via telnet or web browser..

I can setup the printer, I can see the printer, I can get a good status report. But when I send a job it starts sending data then just stops sometimes when its almost done sometimes right in the middle and it clogs the que and it will never finish.   The VPN is up and the data connections are good.. There is just something thats stopping this job from finishing..

For a short term fix so these guys could get back to work I had to forward port 9100 on the 192.168.2.1 printer and just use the external IP to send print jobs down to san antonio. Which works beautifully. But I cannot send them from inside the vpn. I can ping the heck out of it I can send 500 pings and get 99.5 % replies.  I know I must be missing something simple the last router worked great if it was connected it meant connected. And I know the settings must be right somewhat because the printer at the other tunnel location works great no issues and its the same router as san antonio.

Any advice or tips would be helpful.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

roberttimmons
Level 1
Level 1

also for reference the firmware is

Firmware Version: V1.2.11

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

I would look to update the firmware of the new router, you need to be sure to do factory rest of the router after you get the new firmware.

Try this and repost if this doesn't resolve the issue.

That was my next step. The only issue is though that I am 1000 miles away. I can do a remote firmware upgrade that's no problem but what I am afraid of is once I set it to do a factory restore its going to wipe out my IP settings correct? So I will need to have somebody at the office to log back into the router and set it back up for me? Will i be able to upload my backup file or just re create all the tunnels?   I'm not a big fan of flashing firmware unless I have to but if that's the only possible solution at this time that is the step I guess I will have to take.

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

I would not use the old config, Just have them or take screen shots and walk thru the setup after you factory reset

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: