cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simulate a WAN

AStaley1977
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the process of setting up a new domain and need to simulate a WAN without plugging any of the new servers into my existing network.

What I'm looking to do to assist me in setting up the servers is to setup a Cisco 871W with port Eth0/0 as 192.168.1.200 and Eth0/1 as 192.168.7.250 allowing two servers to communicate as if they were on a WAN with the above as their default gateways.

Is this possible? If it is can someone point me in the right direction with the router config, preferably through the GUI? My networking knowledge is very shaky and unfortunately the person normally looking after our networking is unavailable.

Thanks in advance, Andrew.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andrew,

if you are able to use CLI telnet access the following should be enough:

871W should use vlans and should treat ports as switch ports.

get enable access

config t

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.200 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

vlan 2

exit

int vlan 2

ip address 192.168.7.250 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

int f0/0

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 1

int f0/1

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2

end

write mem

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you for the reply, I now have the 871W running with the two ports assigned their relevant IP addresses.

But the two ports will not allow me to ping a PC connected to each. Each PC can ping the router fine, but not each other.

Do I need to apply some sort of routing or enable NAT?

Thanks, Andrew.

Hello Andrew,

on the router add

config t

ip routing

end

write mem

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

When you say GUI, I assume you use SDM.

In this case here is how to do it from the GUI. Configure the interfaces and the vlans:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/cisco_router_and_security_device_manager/25/software/user/guide/Intrfc.html#wp1076311

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: