Rogger Vs AW Database

Answered Question
Sep 22nd, 2009

Hi,

We have an IPCC Deployment.

The Rogger and Logger are co-resident and the AW is a stand alone server.We have a Dialer setup too.

We has some performance issues with the whole system due to system overload and some other problems.

We rebuilt the Rogger a couple of weeks ago.Now the rogger database table " t_Dialer_Detail is holding only 2 hours of data, which was previously almost 1.5 or so days of data.

The AW is tables are holding approx 14 days of data.

I understand from Cisco SRND Guides that Router holds only Real-

Time Data and the AW holds Historical Data.

Can anyone suggest what would be the situation in the case of a Rogger???

Should it be holding Historical Data too if its a Rogger???

Any suggestio is appreciated!!!

I have this problem too.
0 votes

I'm not confused. ;-)

cndilip123 provided more detail on what I was saying.

Whe you create a Distributor AW you can also make it an HDS (Historical Data Store), which is an optional step. If you call this box an AW it is confusing - you should call it an AW/HDS to make it clear.

There is no such thing as an "HDS" on its own, but there can be AWs that don't act as an HDS - that means they have no HDS database, and no ICM replication processes to pull data from the Logger and insert into the HDS database.

Real time data is not purged - it's just overwritten with new data. This is computed as a rolling 5 minute window. Real-time data is not in the HDS.

When you look at the Views of an AW database carefully, you will notice that some of these are referring to data that is actually in the HDS.

For example, you might run a select on the AWDB for the Agent_Half_Hour data and get some data back - but the data is not surely in the AW. That's not a table, it's a view and it's a view into the HDS:

CREATE VIEW Agent_Half_Hour AS SELECT t.* FROM lab_hds.dbo.Agent_Half_Hour t

Study the Schema Help for more info.

Regards,

Geoff

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)

The normal situation is that the Logger database holds 14 days of historical data and the HDS (on the AW) holds accumulated historical data up to a certain number of days depending on the size - 3 years is the typical target, but the database on the HDS must be built accordingly.

The AW database holds real-time data.

Each table on the Logger can be controlled through the purge schedule and perhaps you somehow have the t_Dialer_Detail set to purge data older than 2 hours. You should be able to change this.

The reason the Logger has to hold 14 days of historical data is if the HDS is lost, and you have to rebuild it from your weekly backup, you have basically a week in the worst case to get the HDS rebuilt from the backup and connect it to the Logger, whereupon it will pull down the data it was missing and you will have continuous records.

Regards,

Geoff

josephjameslibin Wed, 09/23/2009 - 18:16

Thanks Geoff.

But there's a bit of confusion over this.

As per Cisco Documentaion, I think its the AW that holds historical data because it has the HDS with it.

And what happens to the real-time data that is purged out of the retention level!!!Would it be lost or moved off to HDS!!!

Please correct me if I am wrong!!!

cndilip123 Wed, 09/23/2009 - 21:12

The AW server has 2 database - the AW that serve Realtime report and the HDS that serve Historical report. The webview picksup the data from these two databases to run the reports.

The real-time data is moved to the HDS. It all depends on the purge schedules that are set-up for the tables and the amount of data in the DB.

The Reporting Guide for Cisco IPCC would be a good reading.

Correct Answer

I'm not confused. ;-)

cndilip123 provided more detail on what I was saying.

Whe you create a Distributor AW you can also make it an HDS (Historical Data Store), which is an optional step. If you call this box an AW it is confusing - you should call it an AW/HDS to make it clear.

There is no such thing as an "HDS" on its own, but there can be AWs that don't act as an HDS - that means they have no HDS database, and no ICM replication processes to pull data from the Logger and insert into the HDS database.

Real time data is not purged - it's just overwritten with new data. This is computed as a rolling 5 minute window. Real-time data is not in the HDS.

When you look at the Views of an AW database carefully, you will notice that some of these are referring to data that is actually in the HDS.

For example, you might run a select on the AWDB for the Agent_Half_Hour data and get some data back - but the data is not surely in the AW. That's not a table, it's a view and it's a view into the HDS:

CREATE VIEW Agent_Half_Hour AS SELECT t.* FROM lab_hds.dbo.Agent_Half_Hour t

Study the Schema Help for more info.

Regards,

Geoff

Actions

This Discussion