Aeronet AP's and IOS

Unanswered Question
Sep 23rd, 2009

Hi,

I've just passed my CCNA exam only they didn't give us a clue to setting Cisco based wireless access points only consumer based Linksys ones with web GUI's.

I'm just interested to know if the Cisco Aeronet devices have built in IOS or if they need a separate controller to download the IOS image from??

I've been using a Cisco 857W at home for a few years so I'm no stranger to setting up the IOS for wireless connectivity and using multiple ESSID's over multiple WVLAN's or bridging them to the management vlan via BVI interface.

Unfortunately I haven't got any experience with standalone Cisco WAP's so it would be good to know and also perhaps even include in my lab/network one day too:

http://www.optiplex-networks.com/lab/lab.html

Many thanks for any responses!!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jeff.kish Wed, 09/23/2009 - 06:05

Hi kayasaman,

Access points can use either full IOS or a lightweight version of IOS. The same APs can run either one of these codes, and it can be upgraded/downgraded back and forth as desired. The lightweight version requires a controller, from which the AP downloads code and configuration. You cannot configure a lightweight AP directly.

IOS APs configure almost identically to the 857W that you have at home. You'll be familiar with the dot11radio interfaces and subinterfaces for VLANs and multiple SSIDs.

I definitely advise including a standalone AP in your lab. There are differences in configuration between the integrated routers and the APs, so it's worth having practice on both.

Congrats on your CCNA! Are you going to keep going, or are you taking a break?

Jeff

kayasaman Wed, 09/23/2009 - 06:25

Many thanks Jeff for the response!! :-)

I appreciate all the advice and help I can from people, as you know when not employed and have to figure out things for ones self it makes matters all the more difficult!!!

Thanks for the congrats :-) Currently since I have a degree also in Elec Eng, I really need some industry experience and not being employed either need the money.

Although I do want to get upto CCNP standard, will consider CCIE even. The place where I am really trying to get into is a Data Center Infrastructure Architect meaning UNIX servers, hypervisors, and underlying LAN/WAN design. - This is also compatible with being a Sun Ray Infrastructure Architect too which I want to become more, however Sun Ray thin clients are much less used then dedicated PC boxes.

In fact currently as I got a good deal I use 3 x 3Com access points linked into a WDS point to multipoint wireless bridge connecting upstairs with downstairs. Only no IOS :-( also I feel more comfortable with IOS implementation of VLANs, 802.1q trunking, inter VLAN routing using router method as not had a chance to play around with SVI's and also STP.

Got a new setup proposed soon which is over in the LAN/WAN routing section as I will need to move out of my folks home soon so will tie both sites together via site-to-site IPsec VPN and routing. ...well that's the plan anyway!! :-)

During my CCNA though I did manage to learn about Cisco Etherchannel and configure it which is not in the curriculum at all!!!! Also some VoIP stuff too..... (enthusiastic student here :-) )

Actions

This Discussion