UC520 Configuration - DID mapping

Answered Question
Sep 22nd, 2009
User Badges:

Pardon my ignorance in advance - I'm just the sales guy.

Scenario:  New installation for November, 8-user UC520.  System has already been purchased, assume update to the latest CCA version.  Customer will have 7 PSTN circuits incoming on a T1 PRI.  Telco provider plans deliver all voice circuits within the building to the UC520 via RJ11, I'm assuming PSTN signaling.  I'm planning to connect 4 incoming circuits to the UC520.  Provider has a block of phone numbers set aside, let's say 789-123-5555 through -5581.  I've got to get this figured out quickly so that business cards can be ordered for staff.  Other 3 voice circuits will be dedicated to analog communication - mechanical systems modem, fire alarm, and security system.

Customer wants to set up DID for certain offices.  Preferred numbering:

main number:  789-123-5555.  Need a hunt group so if the main number is in use, incoming calls will roll over to the next open circuit.

DID for Staff#1: 789-123-5556

DID for Staff#2:  789-123-5557

DID for Staff#3:  789-123-5558

DID for Staff#4:  789-123-5559

Other staff positions (8 handsets/vm boxes) will only need internal extensions, no DID required

Fax line:  789-123-5560

ATM:  needs DID assigned for remote access, but can pick up any available outgoing circuit.

So, I need confirmation on the following:

1.  That a hunt group of three circuits can be mapped by the provider to -5555 without conflicting with the other DID requests.

2.  That the UC520 can map the five DID numbers to the internal extensions, using a total of four incoming circuits.

3.  That the provider's plan to deliver the four incoming circuits internally via analog RJ11 is a suitable method, or should they deliver the PRI directly to the UC520 via a VWIC card?  The three analog lines can then be delivered internally an ATA card?

4.  That I can assign a DID number to the analog ATM modem, yet it will pick up any available outgoing circuit by prefixing the call with 9.

Any and all feedback is welcome - thanks in advance.

Correct Answer by Brandon Svec about 7 years 6 months ago

I read your post a couple times to see if I could read between the lines, but I think you will need to provide more information about what your PSTN connection actually is.  Your description of a PRI delivered via RJ11  with 4 circuits for phones system and 3  for other use doesn't make sense to me..

I'll take a shot at answering your questions though-

1.  There are no hunt groups with PRI.  In general, you can receive as many calls on the same number as you have available circuits.

2. Yes, but if you only have 4 circuits then you can only receive any combination of 4 calls at a time.

3. analog RJ11 and PRI don't correlate.  Perhaps you are describing a T1 and IAD (channel bank) that converts to analog?  This part is really important as it will determine what hardware is required and what options you have..

4. This depends on the answer to #3, but in general yes you can have a modem via an FXS port or ATA that can be reached via DID number and can dial out by dialing 9.

Please tell us who is providing the PRI and everything you know about it and we should be able to answer your questions accurately.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Brandon Svec Tue, 09/22/2009 - 23:47
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Small Business, February 2016

I read your post a couple times to see if I could read between the lines, but I think you will need to provide more information about what your PSTN connection actually is.  Your description of a PRI delivered via RJ11  with 4 circuits for phones system and 3  for other use doesn't make sense to me..

I'll take a shot at answering your questions though-

1.  There are no hunt groups with PRI.  In general, you can receive as many calls on the same number as you have available circuits.

2. Yes, but if you only have 4 circuits then you can only receive any combination of 4 calls at a time.

3. analog RJ11 and PRI don't correlate.  Perhaps you are describing a T1 and IAD (channel bank) that converts to analog?  This part is really important as it will determine what hardware is required and what options you have..

4. This depends on the answer to #3, but in general yes you can have a modem via an FXS port or ATA that can be reached via DID number and can dial out by dialing 9.

Please tell us who is providing the PRI and everything you know about it and we should be able to answer your questions accurately.

Neal Henzler Thu, 09/24/2009 - 15:58
User Badges:

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your reply.  I just discussed the incoming circuits in detail with the provider.

They will deliver the circuits to the site via a PRI T1.  They will use a channel bank to split off the three analog circuits.  The four PRI circuits will be delivered via an RJ45 from the DSX port on the channel bank.  (I will need to extend the RJ45 across a dedicated 200-foot horizontal cable between closets.)

The provider gave the same answer you did to 1 and 2 - no hunt groups, and only four incoming calls at a time.  For 3 - please confirm that I need a VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 card for the UC520.

Everything else is a part of the DID extension mapping within the UC520, the VWIC card configuration (primary or follower;  national standard), and the DID numbers the provider configures.

Thanks!  Neal

Brandon Svec Thu, 09/24/2009 - 21:12
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Small Business, February 2016

It sounds like you are on track.  Yes a VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 is the card required to accept the PRI.  It will connect to the DSX port with a cable that looks like a regular Ethernet cable.   However, unlike Ethernet, T1 uses pins 1,2 and 4,5 only and sometimes need to be crossed depending on the DSX port you connect to.  This should not be a problem for you since you are extending the circuit  and case it doesn't come up it should be a simple matter to just roll 1,2 with 4,5.

Good luck.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content