Views
Helpful
Replies

Nating question

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Experts,

It is a design query. I hope you will shed some light on this.

I learned that NAT support is not available in CISCO 3560 L3 switches and even 4500 Switches. It start only from 6500 Switches.

What is the reason Cisco switches is not able to support NAT feature in 3560 Switches.

The link clearly says this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a008011c629.shtml

Thanks in advance

sairam

4 Replies 4

naveen_b81
Level 1
Level 1

There is probably no provision for maintaining the NAT table in the switches.

Hello,

Personally, I think it is mostly a marketing decision. The problem of hardware support for NAT is, I believe, already solved as the NAT is supported in Cat6500, for example. It should not be a problem to augment the Cat3560 with the proper ASICs to perform NAT, however, the Cisco probably does not want to place the Cat3560 into the enterprise edge layer where the external connectivity is provided, as it has different products for that purpose. The Cat3560 is intended for access or lower-demand distribution layers.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I too have a same thought.

Do you have any idea is there any other OEM supports NAT in their Distribution Layer switches.

sairam

Hi,

NAT is not supported on 35xx platform due to hardware limitation.

ASICS of the PFC on 6500 are far more advanced than the one used on low-end switches.

HTH

Laurent.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card