cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT 2940 configuration

arthurbutt
Level 1
Level 1

I moved a working 2940G-GE-TX running S/W version 8.4 (11)GLX to a new location, gave it a new IP etc..Connected port 2/49 to trunk on a core switch. I can ping the gateway (core) and systems on the local lan. But I cannot get any connectivity on any of the other ports (2/1-48) If I show port counters via console I see packet counts incrementing for both Rx and Tx on a port that I have a laptop connected to. But cannot ping the lap top from console or externally. Also the laptop cannot ping the switch. What am I missing?

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Arthur,

check VTP settings and to what Vlan(s) are associated the ports.

in catOS the command should be

sh vtp domain

in IOS sh vtp status.

the device must become a VTP client and it has to synchronize with the servers in the new campus.

vtp domain name (case sensitive I think) and password must match.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Switch is 2948 (correction) and is client in VTP. VTP domain info is updating correctly. I can see all the VLANs and I see the update taking place regularly from the server. Native VLAN1 is associated with the ports.

Hello Arthur,

this is good news.

this means the port to core switch is in trunk state.

check also the native vlan on both sides of the link even if VTP is working it should be fine.

also, verify if L3 services are available in vlan1 on this campus or if for example DHCP service is missing on this vlan1.

also as a basic test I would do the following:

put two PCs to two ports, give them two ip addresses in the same subnet and verify if they are able to talk port to port without using the trunk link.

Sorry if these are basic suggestions but there is still something to be checked before starting to think the switch is not working properly.

check also with

sh cam dyn

if you see MAC addresses in the CAM table.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

OK...

I put two PCs with fixed IPs on same subnet as switch. I can ping the switch from both PCs. I can also ping other systems on the network from the PCs BUT the PCs cannot ping/talk to each other. And also I cannot ping the PC from the switch console.

What is going on?

Firewalls on the pc's ???

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card