Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two islands point-to-point

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Started this conversation in order to get some insight about the wireless projet i am involved from wireless experts.

We have to establish 250bMBps+ connection between two islands that are seperated by sea. Islands are about 1.5KM far from each other. Advices on design considerations, which products to buy (Cisco or other) are much appreciated.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thank Leo however i already passed through those kind of links, they are long reads. I am interested in specific products and specific advices that suit my above scenario.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

At that distance, you need a long-range antennae. The two links will give you a variety of choice but if you narrow down to the dish antennae, you'll have an idea what to expect.

APs will depend entirely on your requirements. 1240 are nice but there have been some who successfully bonded the 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz of the 1250 to form a point-to-point link and the bw is around 150mb.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions please feel free to ask. :)

Thanks leo, we need a minimum bandwidth of 250Mbps+ The antenna types you provided can not provide that bw at 2KM distance. I am checking proxim solutions atm, any other insights are welcome.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I hope someone is going to correct me on this ... but one of Cisco's latest AP, the 1250, when channel bonded can only do 150mb+ half duplex in practice (channel bonded). And this is already a point-to-point bridge. It ain't the antenna's fault/limitation.

It seems that if you really insist on getting a 250mbps+ point-to-point bridge link then you should consider something else. Like configuring TWO (or more) point-to-point bridge and load-balancing the two.

Another would be to contract an ISP to provide you with a dedicated trunked radio link or similar product.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: