cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wired data and wireless data in the same vlan?

rezende.c
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, what is the best practices in this case. Use wired data and wireless data in the same vlan? or use differents vlans for wired and wireless data connections?

I have this doubt but a think that the correct is use on vlan for each, wired and wireless cause the wired broadcast can to disturb wireless performance.

am I right?

Claudio

3 Replies 3

Peter Nugent
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is correct however if its a very small wlan implementation and its generally a layer 2 network you would be ok with just a single VLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a0080810880.shtml

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Rez,

If you look under the controller tab you will see "broadcast forwarding". If this is disabled wired broadcast will stop at the controller...

So make sure this is disabled and you should be ok ...

good luck

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Glnc66inc
Level 1
Level 1

I think this is more of a security issue. I like to restrict my wireless users with a firewall just incase there are issues. I would not want somebody to hack into my wireless network and have local access to my wired data network/users. If there is not a firewall at least there is another hop between the wireless and wired users.

I am not sure about the broadcast issues but I still will not recommend the 'one vlan' solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card