cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX501 and access to Shared drives

cndestiny
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pix501 and my clients Clinic. I am authorized to make offsite backup per HIPPA Reg's. I have no issues connecting to the clinic and doing Remote Desktop to my server, but when I try to access the Shares to do my backups I get resource not found or access denied. Is there a setting that I need to tweak in order for offsite backups to work. currently I am just trying to copy the files but would like to start using Symantec Backup Exec to do tape backups.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Hi, file sharing ports are most likely not permited in fw.. I would not recommend to open up file sharing permissions to get to systems shares over internet for security risks.. rdp works becuase there is rule permining rdp-3389 port... and even rdp is security risk.. what I would recommend is to have a Ipsec L2L tunnel permining IP between the source and detination host and be able to copy your backups in share folders through encrypted tunnel.

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks, I will look into setting up the L2L tunnel. In a nutshell, will I need another PIX box in order to accomplish what you suggest? or Can I set this up using My current VPN Client and just set up the L2L tunnel.

Thanks

You can use VPN RA client provided the PIX at clinic is configured as RA VPN server to accept RA VPN connections. In a L2L scenario it would be a permanent tunnel which does not requires you to load up a vpn client software and invoke a connection, either or, both are secure solutions but different configurations. L2L requires that each end firewalls supports IPsec standard, that is for all IPsec VPNS, and requires detailed configuration at each side firewalls to build a tunnel policy between PIX and remote offsite end.

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card