Additional WLC controllers

Unanswered Question
Sep 24th, 2009

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm eager to learn.

Is there a guide anywhere that provides instruction on adding a second and third controller to a network? I'm specifically wondering how much of the second controller needs to mirror the first - as far as interfaces and SSIDs. I'm sure I have to duplicate the SSIDs, but when I do that on the second controller, those SSIDs will be associated with interfaces that, although they have the same interface name as controller 1, will have different IP addresses - correct?

Thanks for your patience!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
bdunsing2 Thu, 09/24/2009 - 21:11

Thanks - but none of those explain how to actually configure the second controller. I'm concerned about the interface IPs for the mirrored interfaces that must exist on the second controller. I'm thinking they must have a different ip address in the same subnet/vlan as the primary controller's dynamic interface. Correct? There's no doc I can find to tell me what must match and what must be different on the second controller in order for them to co-exist.

I know.....figure it out for myself...wah,wah, wah..... :-)

SHANNON WYATT Tue, 09/29/2009 - 16:03

The easiest config would be to take the existing controller config and increment the interface IP addresses by one, so if your virtual interface is on the first one, make the second one (assuming it is free). The Virtual inteface needs to be the same.

You can use differnt IP ranges for the second controllers interface IP addresses, but this would probably not be necessary unless you are doing a large rollout.

You need to add the cotrollers to each other in the mobility gruop setup.

Leo Laohoo Tue, 09/29/2009 - 16:59

virtual interface is

Cisco recommends the Virtual interface for the WLC to be

Peace ...

dlawson001 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 07:41

IP address assignment is at the discretion of the administrator/customer. Use whatever you want just as long as the controllers are in the same subnet or routing is configured appropriately if they aren't.

dlawson001 Wed, 09/30/2009 - 07:43

Use IP's in the same subnet as the other controller and access points. You can configure the controllers in the access point but they are perfectly capable of finding additional controllers on their own.

Assign a mobility group if you want it configured. Use the same configuration except for individual controller configuration options like interface IP's.

Use the same OS version on both. Leave all the packet transfering settings like MTU and timers the same on both controllers. That should be enough.

This Discussion