cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Message filters LMS 2.6

didentx01
Level 1
Level 1

How can I set up a filter so that ciscoworks will not telnet into a device to copy the configuration after a config trap is received

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Go to RME > Tools > Syslog > Automated Actions, and disable the Config Fetch action.

Sorry Joe, I need this for just 2 devices. People are constantly making changes (minor) and we may get as many as 20 configurations archived per day. I should have stated that the first time.

This cannot be done reliably. If you modify the Config Fetch AA just to enable it for certain devices, it will ONLY be enabled for those devices. If you add any new devices, they will not be included unless you re-modify the AA.

I should add that if you don't want to see the config change messages at all in your reports for these devices, you could setup a message filter which drops SYS-5-CONFIG_I messages for just these two devices. RME will then not fetch the configs, but you lose the ability to report on such syslogs.

The filter can be defined under RME > Tools > Syslog > Message Filters. The pattern would be:

Facility : SYS

Sub-Facility : *

Severity : 5

Mnemonic : CONFIG_I

Description : *

You lost me. What does AA stand for? I see the config fetch is enabled but that is for all devices. So we cannot tell ciscoworks to not process messages (config) from a particular devices or devices?

AA stands for Automated Action. No, you cannot easily tell RME to process config change syslog messages for all devices except a certain few. However, you can easily define a message filter to prevent config change messages from ever reaching the RME database for a select set of devices.

OK...I wrote my reply before you posted the message filter option. We tried that and it did not work. We went back into the device, added the "snmp-server location" in the config and ciscoworks user still telneted in the device to get the config.

Post the NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/csc/data/filters.dat.

I wish I could but the network is closed. What should I look for? If you don't mind walking me through it.

The file is not easy to read. If you cannot post it, then open a TAC service request, and include it. If you cannot do that, it will be very hard to determine why filtering is not working. I suspect a bug which may be fixed in a later version of RME.

Will do. I will go that route. Thanks Joe.

When you open the SR, include the raw syslog message found in your syslog.log file. That plus the filters.dat should show the problem quite clearly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: