Views
Helpful
Replies

High CPU usage in Router

trackme
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco 2651 router running 12.2x IOS. I get this error message in my log some times and at that time i cant reach the router at all

-----------

%SYS-3-CPUHOG: Task ran for 11507 msec (0/0), process = Load Meter, PC = 803F22E8.

-Traceback= 803F22EC 803F475C

I cant find this error message in the internet and not sure what could be. Also checked Cisco Bugtrack tool and couldnt find. Can some help me to isolate this issue?

Is this is related to wrong or faulty code or???

3 Replies 3

simontibbitts
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

This message appears when something hogs the CPU for some time (11507 msec) in your case. It can sometimes be caused by people running large commands like show parser.

Check your logs to see if anyone else was on the router. 'show process cpu history' will give you a good idea on CPU load of your router.

This link will help you understand:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/iad/ps397/products_tech_note09186a00800a6ac4.shtml

Simon

simontibbitts
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again.

Just seen that it gives the process which caused the high CPU 'Load Meter' which is described as:

Computes the load average for the different processes every five seconds, and the five minute exponentially-decayed busy time.

So, could well be a bug yes. Might be worth doing a search on the bug toolkit for it.

Simon

correct, since its happening recently and at random intervals. What i will do is do more research on this and also try to reboot the router since some times rebooting a router might fix too :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card