Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring Object tracking with SNMP

elwright
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to find a way to monitor via SNMP or Syslog how to monitor the object tracked routes on a ASA 5505.

When my connection fails over from cable to dsl or vice versa I'd like to recieve a alarm or email via Cisco Works or Whatsupgold.

Below is part of the configuration

track 3 rtr 3 reachability

!

track 4 rtr 4 reachability

sla monitor 3

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 4.2.2.2 interface backup

frequency 15

sla monitor schedule 3 life forever start-time now

sla monitor 4

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 4.2.2.3 interface outside

frequency 15

sla monitor schedule 4 life forever start-time now

6 Replies 6

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It seems ASA's IP SLA configs are not as far along as that of IOS, in terms of alerting.

I suppose you could either roll your own and write a "robot" script to log into each ASA to parse the "sla monitor" output accordingly, or configure the IPM piece of CiscoWorks LMS to do it for you: IPM - Collector Mgmt - Operations - Generate Action Event - Event Type: SNMP Trap.

The robot script would have to be the way as the ASA does not support the CISCO-RTTMON-MIB, therefore IPM will not be able to manage them.

Would you know when CISCO-RTTMON-MIB support would be added, or the ASA IP SLA capabilities be expanded to match the IOS?

No idea. This is the first time I heard about IP SLA support in the ASA. I haven't seen any ASA IP SLA SRs in the NMS TAC, and I'm not seeing any enhancement requests pending.

I am working with Cisco on a way for the ASA to email these track changes. I really would like to find a way to snmp it - any other ideas?

There is no MIB support in the ASA to support tracking. There is just no way to do it with SNMP.