cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WET200 WEP ok, but no WPA/WPA2 with WAG325N

JulianBond
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed a WET200 to connect two printers to my wireless network (replacing two WP54G Print Servers), and bridge to a WAG325N Wireless-N ADSL2+ Gateway.

Previously I was using WEP, but intended to upgrade to WPA or WPA2.

I can get all equipment to communicate fine via WEP.

I can also get everything other than the WRT200 (two laptops, two PDAs) to communicate with the WAG325N Gateway via WPA or WPA2.

But I can't get the WET200 to talk to the WAG325N.

I've updated the firmware on the WET200 to 1.0.12 and powered off/on.

I'm sure the WPA passphase is correct (cut & past from file).

I can see from other threads that there are some known problems in this area linking to other manufacturers, but mine are both Linksys.

Anybody got some ideas of what else I should be checking for or settings I might have missed?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

After you did the firmware upgrade on the wet200 did you do a factory.  If not, do a factory reset of the bridge and reconfigure it.  Then see if it will connect up.

View solution in original post

The issue is that you are attempting to connect a small business product to a consumer product.  Typically they don't match up.  I have set these up with consumer products and have to work with what security i can get the device to lock in with.  Most of the time it is wep or none.

I see the wag325n is  a adsl/router combo with wireless.  One option would be get a adsl modem and use a small business class wireless n router, like the wrvs4400n.  Or just get a small business wireless access point and have it connect to the bridge ( that would be the easiest solution).  That way you could keep the wag325n and would be able to utilize the wpa or wpa2 security of a small business class access point.  Some access points would be the wap200, wap210, wap4400n, or the wap4410n.

21 Replies 21

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

After you did the firmware upgrade on the wet200 did you do a factory.  If not, do a factory reset of the bridge and reconfigure it.  Then see if it will connect up.

I got the same configuration. i bought the WET200, because of its WPA2 capability. Unfortunately this brigde is not working with the WAG325N and WPA2 enabled. The wireless connection is established, because when i set an PC with static IP (192.168.1.x) connect through wired to the brigde, i can ping the ADSL router (which is 192.168.1.1) or other devices connected directly to the router, when i enter the DNS to the PC, i also can connect the internet. But i cannot ping the PC behind the bridge from the router. Also DHCP is not working for PC connected to the brigde. As soon as i disable the wireless security, everything is working, but that's not what i want.

and yes i made a firmwareupgrade on both, the WET200 and the WAG325N, and i made a factory reset more than one time.

I'm completely sure that I Factory Rest the WET200.  I'll try at the weekend and report back.

Thanks

My last post was medant to that that I wasn't completely sure if I'd done a Factory Reset after upgrading the firmware.

But I have now spent the afternoon on this, and can confirm that the Factory Restet doesn't help.

Let me give some more detail of what I'm doing, juts in case this throws up some ideas of what's going wrong.

The Linksys WAG325N is my ADSL Gateway, and I've a desktop PC connected via cable.  I've a HP laptop with built-in Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, and then the WET200 bridge.  All three wireless devices communicate happily (but less than securely) via WEP.  The steps I've been following are:

1. Connect my laptop via ethernet cable to the WET200 (and disable the laptop's wireless connection). 
  2. Use the web interface to change the Wireless security to WPA-2 Personal with my pre-shared key.  My laptop can ping the WET 200 Bridge IP address, but via the cable.
  3. Immediately change the wireless security on the WAG325N to match (WPA-2 Personal and key).
  4. After waiting a period of minutes for everything to settle down, I try to ping the WET 200 Bridge from the desktop PC.  No response.
  5. I then disconnect my laptop from the bridge, re-enable wireless and change the wireless settings to WPA-2 Personal (with pre-shared key).  I can succesfully ping the WAG325.  My deskstop can successfully ping the laptop.

I repeat the exercise with WPA, but still no success.  I've tried a number of variations, including powering off/on the Bridge after re-setting the security.  The WET200 shows a signal strength for the wireless connection, but the WAG325 just doesn't want to know the WERT200.

What else can I try?

Just a couple of other points.  I tried using a shorter (9 character) key, but to no avail.

Can someone also confirm that the WET200 should be in Infrastructure Mode (rather than Ad-hoc)?  I did try Ad-hoc in the hope of connecting my laptop wirelessly direct (rather than via the gateway).  But I only has the option of WEP encryption, which I can already achieve!

when you run the tests are you plugged in to the router with the WET200?

The WET200 Bridge and the WAG325N Gateway aren't physically connected by an ethernet cable at any point in my test.  When I run the tests, I use my desktop connected to the Gateway and my laptop connected to the Bridge.

What access point to you have after the WET200? The WET200 is only a bridge not an access point so not computer will see it.

The reason for using the WET200 Bridge is as a means of wirelessly connecting two printers to my LAN .  These two printers have built-in print servers with ethernet ports, and are connected via ethernet cables to the WET200.

The WET200 needs to connect wirelessly to my WAG325N Gateway.  It is happy to do this via WEP encryption, but won't connect via WPA Personal or WPA-2 Personal.

The only equipment that PCs need to connect wirelessly to is the WAG325N.  I'm not expecting any PCs to connect wirelessly to the WET200.  Consequently, I don't believe that I need an additional access point.

I've spent anothe day looking at this.  Your last post made me wonder if I have more success if the WAG325N and WET200 were connected via cable until the wireless was all configured ok - but it made no difference.

Can anyone advise whether the WET200 gives any clues that it has successfully made a wireless connection?  The System Status | Wireless Status page shows the following details regardless of whether the right of wrong passpharase is entered.  It is showing the correct SSID, but I now doubt that it is confirming much more.

SSID                   xxxxxxxx
Wireless MAC      00:23:69:xx:xx:xx
Network Type       Managed
Wireless Mode     B/G Mixed
Channel               11
Security Mode      WPA2-Personal
Tx Rate                54 Mbps
Link Quality          96 %

Sorry tgronek, I've only just understood why you asked your last question.  Post 7. was a little ambiguous.

When I run the test, I use my desktop connected to the Gateway and my laptop connected to the Bridge.  In both cases, a physical link via ethernet cable is used.  The only wireless link being tested is between the WAG325N and the WET200 (although I can use the laptop's wireless card to validate the connection).

Hope that helps?

The issue is that you are attempting to connect a small business product to a consumer product.  Typically they don't match up.  I have set these up with consumer products and have to work with what security i can get the device to lock in with.  Most of the time it is wep or none.

David

Thanks for your insight.  By coincidence, I'd just been reading your contribution to a parallel thread ("re: wet200 / wpa2 has anyone gotten it to work" https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/18742#18742).

I'm taking your response to mean that there's no guarantee that the WET200 (business product) and WAG325N (consumer product) will communicate successfully via WPA or WPA-2.  That certainly seems to be an accurate synopsis of my experience, and other contributors to this forum.

So where do I go from here?  I’ve just purchased the WET200 because there’s nothing suitable in Linksys’ consumer range (i.e. wireless bridge for connection more than one device).  I’d bought from the same brand as my router, to ‘guarantee’ connection.  Unfortunately, I do need to achieve better than WEP security.

Any suggestion on how to proceed?

I see the wag325n is  a adsl/router combo with wireless.  One option would be get a adsl modem and use a small business class wireless n router, like the wrvs4400n.  Or just get a small business wireless access point and have it connect to the bridge ( that would be the easiest solution).  That way you could keep the wag325n and would be able to utilize the wpa or wpa2 security of a small business class access point.  Some access points would be the wap200, wap210, wap4400n, or the wap4410n.

Thank you for your candour, and for the good suggestions.  I will ponder….

(Can you forgive me a significant sense of disappointment that these two Linksys products won’t communicate using an industry-standard protocol?  And why is it so hard to gain confirmation of the truth?  I’ve only just purchased the WET200 – if it only works with other equipment in the Linksys Business Range, then why isn’t that clearly stated?  I thought we were past the days of single-supplier networks?)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: