cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wet200 / wpa2 has anyone gotten it to work

derekslayton
Level 1
Level 1

has anyone else gotten wpa2 / aes to work on the wet200?

if so, please post your config

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello, Derek:

I have the WET200 and although it took me a few attempts, in the beginning, I was able to use WPA2 and it worked for about two-and-a-half years, until several weeks ago.  I had it connected to a 2Wire 2701HG-B wireless gateway and the throughput was wonderful.  When I was initially connecting it, it was not working, as I expected it to and it would not show any connection.  Then, all of a sudden, it had made a connection, on its own, and has been working since.  Then, several weeks ago, I noticed it flashing and acting strangely.  Upon inspection, it had lost its connection with my wireless gateway and I have not been able to reconnect it to the 2Wire gateway since.  I have re-flashed the WET200, with the same and latest firmware and performed several soft and hard resets, to no avail.  Unlike before, I can see it making an attempt to connect to the 2Wire wireless gateway, as the wireless light (on the 2Wire) will briefly light, then, it goes out.  This will continue, indefinitely, until I power off the WET200.  I am desperate for Cisco/Linksys to create a new firmware, as we are far overdue for a great, stable firmware release for this unit, since it has been since August 8, 2008, since the last update.  Also, Cisco/Linksys appears to have been updating firmware for many similar devices, moving these small-business devices to a strictly Cisco-branded firmware.  I am hoping Cisco will soon do the same for the WET200, as this firmware is "flaky."  It is a shame and such a disappointment that such a device, from such a respected and reputable company would be operating in such a condition.

One more note, while I appear to be one of a small handful that has been successful (lucky) to get WPA2 to work on the WET200, I was never able to get it to accept and pass DHCP requests/traffic, properly, onto the connected, wired clients.  Once it would finally pass and allow DHCP to a connected client, things were fine.  However, once that lease ended, it would take several minutes and/or several reboots of a connected client, before the WET200 would pass DHCP information onto the client, allowing for a proper network connection.  It was so frustrating, I ended up using static IP addresses for my connected clients.

I hope this information helps you, in some way and further encourages Cisco/Linksys to update the WET200's firmware.  Thank you.

--Dylan

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

What kind of wireless router are you connecting the wet200 to?

i tried it on a wrt600n first, then switched over to a dlink dir-825

I know any time i have tried sync'ing up a consumer router up to a small business product they typically don't link right.  I have always had issues with getting that to work.  When I do get them to sync with whatever security i kinda just work with it.  If it will work with wpa and not wpa2 I would work with it.  I don't know of any other fix to get the two devices to sync with the wpa2.  Maybe someone else may have an idea as to how to get this to work.

davicarr wrote:

I know any time i have tried sync'ing up a consumer router up to a small business product they typically don't link right.  I have always had issues with getting that to work.  When I do get them to sync with whatever security i kinda just work with it.  If it will work with wpa and not wpa2 I would work with it.  I don't know of any other fix to get the two devices to sync with the wpa2.  Maybe someone else may have an idea as to how to get this to work.

thanks for the note David. the only challenge I have is that there is no longer a consumer based bridge product that does what I need it to.

I would also add that the positioning of LS products as consumer/soho/sb is marketing in my humble opinion.

tgronek
Level 1
Level 1

Are you trying to to wire the wet200 into the router or run it wirelessly?

tgronek wrote:

Are you trying to to wire the wet200 into the router or run it wirelessly?

wirelessly, the router is in a differnt room. it runs fine with wpa personal, it just craps out on wpa2

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Yeah, i know the situation. I would get it connected with wpa personal if it will and run with it.

davicarr wrote:

Yeah, i know the situation. I would get it connected with wpa personal if it will and run with it.

that is what i've been doing.

i guess it's safe to assume that no further firmware is going to be released for this unit, right?

Sir, their should be more firmware for this WET200 in the future, but we do not know when it will come out.

tgronek wrote:

Sir, their should be more firmware for this WET200 in the future, but we do not know when it will come out.

any chance there is a bug list, or feature request form available?

There is a known case with the design team with this bridge stating it cannot connect using wpa2/aes.  Their workaround for the time being until they have a new firmware release that resolves the issue is to do wpa/tkip.  But it is a known issue with the design team.

thanks for the info david.

No problem, any time Derek.

Hello, Derek:

I have the WET200 and although it took me a few attempts, in the beginning, I was able to use WPA2 and it worked for about two-and-a-half years, until several weeks ago.  I had it connected to a 2Wire 2701HG-B wireless gateway and the throughput was wonderful.  When I was initially connecting it, it was not working, as I expected it to and it would not show any connection.  Then, all of a sudden, it had made a connection, on its own, and has been working since.  Then, several weeks ago, I noticed it flashing and acting strangely.  Upon inspection, it had lost its connection with my wireless gateway and I have not been able to reconnect it to the 2Wire gateway since.  I have re-flashed the WET200, with the same and latest firmware and performed several soft and hard resets, to no avail.  Unlike before, I can see it making an attempt to connect to the 2Wire wireless gateway, as the wireless light (on the 2Wire) will briefly light, then, it goes out.  This will continue, indefinitely, until I power off the WET200.  I am desperate for Cisco/Linksys to create a new firmware, as we are far overdue for a great, stable firmware release for this unit, since it has been since August 8, 2008, since the last update.  Also, Cisco/Linksys appears to have been updating firmware for many similar devices, moving these small-business devices to a strictly Cisco-branded firmware.  I am hoping Cisco will soon do the same for the WET200, as this firmware is "flaky."  It is a shame and such a disappointment that such a device, from such a respected and reputable company would be operating in such a condition.

One more note, while I appear to be one of a small handful that has been successful (lucky) to get WPA2 to work on the WET200, I was never able to get it to accept and pass DHCP requests/traffic, properly, onto the connected, wired clients.  Once it would finally pass and allow DHCP to a connected client, things were fine.  However, once that lease ended, it would take several minutes and/or several reboots of a connected client, before the WET200 would pass DHCP information onto the client, allowing for a proper network connection.  It was so frustrating, I ended up using static IP addresses for my connected clients.

I hope this information helps you, in some way and further encourages Cisco/Linksys to update the WET200's firmware.  Thank you.

--Dylan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: