Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber optic connections

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

I want to connect 4 x 3560 switches via Fiber on SFP ports, one to other. These switches are about 250 meters apart from each other. What kind of fiber cable, connectors and SFP module should I use?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SFP

GLC-SX-MM

Fiber

I would install an OM4 rated multimode fiber (MMF). This would enable the link to be upgrade to 10GE in the future. Type of cable jacket will depend on installation environment, whether indoor, outdoor, jacket fire rating, etc.

Connectors

SFP modules require LC type connectors. If the fiber is being terminated on a patch panel, you could use LCs on the panels as well or whatever your network is using now. Just select the appropriate connectors for the end of the jumpers.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

For 250m 50Micron Multiimode Fiber(MMF) (MAx distance550m for this fiber)would be fine,if you dont expect any change in disatnce later.

GLC-SX-MM=

1000BASE-SX SFP transceiver module for MMF, 850-nm wavelength

You can use above card and can check when ordering what kind of connectors above card have.

Check this linkto see other cards available as you know your future palns

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7200/install_and_upgrade/gbic_sfp_modules_install/5067g.html#wp34124

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SFP

GLC-SX-MM

Fiber

I would install an OM4 rated multimode fiber (MMF). This would enable the link to be upgrade to 10GE in the future. Type of cable jacket will depend on installation environment, whether indoor, outdoor, jacket fire rating, etc.

Connectors

SFP modules require LC type connectors. If the fiber is being terminated on a patch panel, you could use LCs on the panels as well or whatever your network is using now. Just select the appropriate connectors for the end of the jumpers.

Thanks Tom for a nice response!!,

Is OM4 a standard yet(since i dont have that info so just inquiring )?

Hi Huseyin Kayahan,

just check the price of OM3 & OM4 if it is too much differece then you have to decide which one you want to go with.

Well all this consideration will come only at higher speeds. OM3 have modal bandwidth of 2000 whereas for OM4 they talk about 4700.

But at 10G both OM3 & OM4 gives the same distance. As you need a diffrence kind of transmitter to take advantage of OM4 extra modal bandwidth.

The OM4 standard was recently ratified.

I feel it is always important to install the best cabling you can afford.

You will definitely need to purchase a new transmitter when you migrate to 10Gbps speeds. It is easy to change the optics attached to the fiber but harder to change the fiber itself.

Thanx for your support of the forum!

thanks for your valuable inputs guys. I may come up with new questions on fiber.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: