cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Gateways

PeterDownes
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for Cisco products that can act as SIP gateways. These products need to be priced for the SMB market. We implement the SIP gateways by using available BRI or PRI ports on the clients existing PBX (provided it is not an IP PBX). The gateways will need to provide 16-32 concurrent outbound calls using G.729a codec. We use the PBX dialing plans to decide on how calls are routed. Local calls typically will be routed over the PSTN, but national, mobile, on net and international will be routed via VoIP. Internet connectivity is either through DSL or channelized E1. Please advise on the recommended Cisco products that will be effective for this type of operation.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The coding/decoding is done by dedicated DSP so not much of an issue. There is a full lineup of ISR voice router with 7 models up to the 3845.

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The smaller router you can use for this is a 1861. then you have to add pvdms-16 or 32, and the interfaces.

Recommend you work with a reputable partner or reseller because in most cases when the end users tries doing alone, either makes the wrong purchase or are unable to configure and make it work.

Thanks for the advice. I will work with our local distributor, but I have been getting mixed messages.

Does this router (1861) support SIP and the G.729a codec for the RTP stream? How many concurrent calls will this device be able to manage?

Yes it does and with an E1 PRI it would support 30 calls.

That's why I said you need to locate a competent partner, there is a lot of people around that doesn't know or knows wrong, but still talks.

My concern is regarding the processing capacity of the device. The load created by the encoding can be a bottleneck on these devices. For the record...what is the maximum number of G.729a concurrent calls this device will support...is it 30? If I needed a bigger device for more calls, what would the next device upwards be?

The coding/decoding is done by dedicated DSP so not much of an issue. There is a full lineup of ISR voice router with 7 models up to the 3845.

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: