cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what to do when QinQ is not an option.

gwhynott
Level 1
Level 1

Our service provider we use to connect to a remote office wants to bill us an extra 1000 a month to allow us to send tagged traffic over the circuit. seems like a lot of money to add the line "switchport mode dot1q-tunnel " to the ports config.

are there any solutions which will allow us to pass tagged traffic between offices without paying the service provider to allow double tagging? Routing is not an option as we have to pass vlans (voice/video) which we do not administrate.

thanks,

g

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

IMHO, the GRE would probably be the least painful, as long as both ends can see each other, you have a link.

You can also track it for lighting up a backup path, if necessary.

A site-to-site VPN is a little trickier, but it is also normally encrypted (the GRE usually isn't, I believe), so if security is critical, you'd need to add encryption to eh GRE, or just go with the VPN.

It should be easy enough to check out one against the other for a final judgment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

GRE Tunnel?

VPN?

thanks. I was looking at GRE and VPN solutions, we have at 6509e on one end and a 4k on the other. we also have a few ASA's I could use.

which would be the most transparent ( both to the service provider and to the network), or which would you recomend?

=g

IMHO, the GRE would probably be the least painful, as long as both ends can see each other, you have a link.

You can also track it for lighting up a backup path, if necessary.

A site-to-site VPN is a little trickier, but it is also normally encrypted (the GRE usually isn't, I believe), so if security is critical, you'd need to add encryption to eh GRE, or just go with the VPN.

It should be easy enough to check out one against the other for a final judgment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card