Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect on Ubuntu

tomas.horacek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have problem running Cisco Anyconnect VPN Client on my Ubuntu Linux, I cant launch the vpnui application. When I try, I get error.

$ /opt/cisco/vpn/bin/vpnui

GThread-ERROR **: GThread system may only be initialized once.

aborting...

Aborted

Tried reinstall, tried another Ubuntu box and got same results.

13 Replies 13

auraza
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please try the following:

/opt/cisco/vpn/bin/vpn connect 1.2.3.4

Establishes a connection to a security appliance with the address 1.2.3.4.

--

/opt/cisco/vpn/bin/vpn connect some_asa_alias

Establishes a connection to a security appliance by reading the profile and looking up the alias some_asa_alias in order to find its address.

--

/opt/cisco/vpn/bin/vpn stats

Displays statistics about the vpn connection.

--

/opt/cisco/vpn/bin/vpn disconnect

Disconnect the vpn session if it exists.

PS. If you found this response helpful, please do rate it. :)

Thanks for reply Auraza.

All this works. But I would love to have the SysTray icon/app to control the connection.

Is there a chance to fix the app ?

I am not sure I understand what you are looking to do. Are you unable to control the right-click on the icon to control the connection?

As far I understand, vpnui binary is the application for systray, to control, config the connection, etc.

I am unable to launch the application, so I have no icon at all.

tomas.horacek
Level 1
Level 1

Tried the installation on another Ubuntu PC. The icon (vpnui) works without a problem.

Is there any solution for this problem?

I have the very same behaviour , working with fedora11.

aborting...

Command "/opt/cisco/vpn/bin/vpn connect x.x.x.x" works all fine as supposed to, but I can't start vpnui, which means I don't have a Icon to show me the state of the connection.

It would be very helpful if someone could give me a hint how to solve this. (Using another computer is not a option).

I would start by making sure AnyConnect knows where to find the GTK libraries used for Gnome.  If you're using KDE as your desktop and don't have GTK installed, the AnyConnect GUI will fail to launch.

dbindner1
Level 1
Level 1

I can reproduce this problem:

$ /opt/cisco/vpn/bin/vpnui

aborting...
Aborted
It occurs for me when the Gnome Accessibility features are enabled under System->Preferences->Assistive Technologies->[x] Enable assistive technologies.
Don

I've tried with "assistive technologies" disabled, but I get the same message.

I'm running Fedora 11 with gnome 2.26.1.

How can I make sure, anyconnect finds all the required libraries?

Is there a way to start vpnui in debug mode?

Here are some lines out of the crash report:

---->

System: Linux 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586 #1 SMP Thu Feb 11 06:51:26 UTC 2010 i686
X Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
X Vendor Release: 10603901
Selinux: Enforcing
Accessibility: Disabled
GTK+ Theme: Nodoka
Icon Theme: Fedora
GTK+ Modules: canberra-gtk-module, pk-gtk-module, gnomebreakpad, gail, atk-bridge

Memory status: size: 0 vsize: 0 resident: 0 share: 0 rss: 0 rss_rlim: 0
CPU usage: start_time: 0 rtime: 0 utime: 0 stime: 0 cutime:0 cstime: 0 timeout: 0 it_real_value: 0 frequency: 0

---- Critical and fatal warnings logged during execution ----

** GThread **: GThread system may only be initialized once.

----------- .xsession-errors ---------------------
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x7400049 (Firefox Up)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x7400049 (Firefox Up)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Registering Enigmail account manager extension.
Enigmail account manager extension registered.
Registering Enigmail account manager extension.
Enigmail account manager extension registered.
gnome-session[2313]: WARNING: Not able to stop app from its condition: Not running
aborting...
aborting...
--------------------------------------------------

<----

Any more ideas?

Oh, disabling "assistive technologies" did the trick.

I just realized, I need to logout and login again before this takes effect.

Even it seems, this is a bug in the anyconnect client, I'm happy with this solution as I don't need the assistive tools.

Thanks.

Yeah, now that Cisco can reproduce it, I expect we'll see a fix.  It would seem from Googling that the change is just a line or two at the beginning of the program, where the thread library is initialized.

Bug ID: CSCtg14425

The bug has Minor severity, and the advice is to "Disable Assistive Technologies," which works for me.

Must be a foreign development group.  I'm guessing that attorneys in the U.S. wouldn't usually let you say your bug isn't important because you have a disability.

I had the same issue on 32 bit (had no issues on 64 bit on the same system, so I find this very odd).  I installed and saw I had no icons for the program, had errors uninstalling which then led me to resort to 'rm -Rfv /opt/cisco'.

I ended up running 'sudo nautilus' and then double clicked on the install.sh file and BAM everything showed up as normal.

I am running 10.04 up to date as of May-11-2010 and I did not have the assist technology installed (manually removed them after I installed 10.04).

Not sure why doing it with the gui up is any different than running sudo from the CLi.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: