Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst WS-C2960-48PST-L

Koiser_Nicholas
Level 1
Level 1

Someone Please tell me:

Is this switch WS-C2960-48PST-L capable of powering up cisco IP Phones on all the 48-ports?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_bulletin_c25-512173.html

The description is a bit confusing.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's not confusing. Here's the confusing bit ...

The WS-C2960-48PST-L is a 48-port switch WITH PoE support (15.4w or less per port) to only 24 ports. Which 24 ports? The first 24 ports in a first-come-first-serve basis. So if you have 25 PoE "stuffs" (even though these draw less than 15.4 watts each), the switch will only provide the first 24 leaving the 25th dark.

Does this help? I hope it does because when this was first explained to me I was told that I had a very blank look.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nicholas

From the link -

"Catalyst 2960-48PST-L configuration can deliver the necessary power to support 24 ports at 15.4W, 48 ports at 7.7W"

So the answer is it depends. And it depends on how much power your phones need to draw to work. Which phone set are you using ?

Jon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's not confusing. Here's the confusing bit ...

The WS-C2960-48PST-L is a 48-port switch WITH PoE support (15.4w or less per port) to only 24 ports. Which 24 ports? The first 24 ports in a first-come-first-serve basis. So if you have 25 PoE "stuffs" (even though these draw less than 15.4 watts each), the switch will only provide the first 24 leaving the 25th dark.

Does this help? I hope it does because when this was first explained to me I was told that I had a very blank look.

Really?

How come that the product-pdf says: the "...support 24 ports at 15.4W, 48 ports at 7.7W, or any combination in between."

So if I connect 48 of the Cisco 7960 (5w each) to the 2960-48PST-L, it won't work?

Please explain it for me

I'f you right I will also have a very blank look...

Best regards,

Johan

Hi Johan,

In my experience, if you plug 48 into it, 24 will power up. The rest will go blank.

But, I'll be very happy if someone can prove me wrong. :)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card