Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy with only one circuit?

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

This may be a DUMB question, but if I have one serial connection coming in, and I want redundancy for my router (not the circuit), is there any device that Cisco makes that I can connect that circuit to and allow me to configure HSRP on two routers? Keep in mind, I only have a single circuit coming into my building, and it's not an ethernet hand off.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

"is there any device that Cisco makes that I can connect that circuit to and allow me to configure HSRP on two routers"

None that i can think of. The best you can do is to get a router with redundant power supplies etc.. which will give you the "best" redundancy you get with a single P2P link.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

"is there any device that Cisco makes that I can connect that circuit to and allow me to configure HSRP on two routers"

None that i can think of. The best you can do is to get a router with redundant power supplies etc.. which will give you the "best" redundancy you get with a single P2P link.

Jon

Thanks Jon :)

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You might also want to have another router on hand with an interface preconfigured. Doesn't provide an automatic failover, but if there's any problem on the primary router, you might be able to quickly move the circuit to the other router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card