cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Cisco AP1220 APs Be Used to Establish a P-to-P Wireless Link?

rtoomey
Level 1
Level 1

(I included this question originally as a reply to another post when I probably should have started it as a new conversation thread):

I have two rather old 1220B units. I've configured/installed 1300 series wireless bridges, but I'm unclear on whether or not I can use the two 1220B APs to establish a p-to-p wireless link between a couple of buildings that are about 1200 feet apart. Line of sight is good, and I have access to some low-loss coax and high-gain antennas so that I wouldn't have to expose the 1220Bs to the elements, only the antennas. Can AP1220Bs be configured to function in this fashion? I don't see an option on the 1220Bs (at least via the IOS GUI) to define one of the APs as a non-root (as I've done with 1300 wireless bridges) with the other bridge set up with a station-role of root.

4 Replies 4

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

The answer is that yes, you can bridge using 1220B access points. What version of code are you running? You should see the option for changing the radio role in the network. If not, you might need to upgrade your code.

You could also try using the CLI, if you're comfortable with that. Under the dot0 interface, type the command "station-role ?" to see what your options are.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks... Not sure which version of code they're running (they are some demo units that are in our sales engineering department's storage bin - I haven't gotten my hands on them yet). I could upgrade them to a newer IOS if I need be.(They're definitely running IOS, not VxWorks, so they're not completely ancient.) The same model AP, i.e., a 1220B that I upgraded with a "g" radio at another site is running fairly new code, 12.3(4)JA1. I logged into it remotely last night and checked on the station-role options for the dot11radio0 interface. They're as follows:

ap(config-if)#station-role ?

repeater Repeater access point

root Root access point

scanner Scanner access point

workgroup-bridge Workgroup Bridge

My only anxiety is that there is no "non-root" station-role. When I've configured 1300 series Cisco wireless bridges for p-to-p links, I've configured one unit as "root" and its partner as "non-root".

Would I configure one unit as "root" and the other as "workgroup-bridge"?

No, workgroup bridge is a different role. You're correct that there should be a non-root option.

This is strange. I just checked one of my 1220B access points (upgraded to G), running 12.3(8) code, and I have a non-root option:

ap(config-if)#station-role ?

non-root Non-root (bridge)

repeater Repeater access point

root Root access point or bridge

scanner Scanner access point

workgroup-bridge Workgroup Bridge

ap#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, C1200 Software (C1200-K9W7-M), Version 12.3(8)JA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

I guess try upgrading to 12.3(8) and see if that fixes it? I don't know why it wouldn't in 12.3(4) though...

Jeff, thanks again... I'll pick up the 1220Bs tomorrow or Wednesday and upgrade them to 12.3(8) and see if that adds a non-root role. I'll re-post later this week after I've done that and report ho things turn out.

Rick Toomey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: